Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win XP shutdown

• Please log in to reply

El_Turbo

El_Turbo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hi!

I currently use windows xp(sp1) on my computer w/ atx tower. For some quite time i am noticing that every time is shutdown my computer it doesnt automatically turn off. I goes to a black screen that will say "Its now safe to turn off your computer"(similar to win 98). I upgraded to sp2 believing that it will fix the issue. But sadly i didnt. Can somebody help me! Thanks! :tazz:

Edited by El_Turbo, 20 September 2005 - 07:55 AM.

Advertisements

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
Windows XP Professional says that when its shut down thats what u may have

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Windows XP Professional says that when its shut down thats what u may have

View Post

NvidiaDude:

What are you saying here?? XP Pro says nothing when it is shutdown, it shutsdown completely!!!

El_Turbo:

XP has been known to have problems when shutting down.. As a quick check, boot into BIOS and make sure ACPI is enabled and then go to Control Panel>Power Management.. Click on APM and make sure that is checked..

That may fix you up on its own.. If it doesn't, Auhma.org has a very good troubleshooting page..

Murray

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
w-e like i care i swear i seen it

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
If you don't have the options I mentioned enabled, then you will get the "It is Now Safe, etc" message.. and you get to press and hold your power button for 3 - 10 seconds..

However, most systems have those options and XP will auto shutdown!!

Murray

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
oh right ok murray ill remember that :tazz: