Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Card Help

• Please log in to reply

smrtypntz7667

smrtypntz7667

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a computer from Gateway. I ordered a Jaton 3D Force FX5200 with 128 MB. Installed in my pc and then my pc kept crashing and rebooting itself. Come to fing out after talking to tech support from Gateway my AGP slot is 4X. They told me that the card is not compatible and could fry my motherboard. But the specs for the card says 8X/4X/2X. Called tech support back and some other guy said that my computer would configure itself to work with the card. I tried to turn on my pc but my monitor didn't display windows on the screen. All it had on the screen was that red/blue/black box thing with spanish written in it. Gateway is sending me a GeForce2 MX400 AGP 4X that they say will work in the pc, but I am wanting to play The Sims2 on this pc and with the GeForce2 I know I won't be able to set my graphics very high. My question is: Is there any way that I can make this GeForce 5200 card work in my pc? Can someone please help me out before the Fed X guy comes to pick up this card? My computer is an AMD Athalon MMX, 3D now, 1.0GHz. & I have 2 256 sticks of memory. I need to mention that when I installed the card and drivers from the cd that came with the card it worked I just had crashes and restarts so I turned off my pc. When I went to turn it back on from a cold start thats when the windows wouldn't show on my monitor so I uninstalled the card. I can't use my pc until I have a card installed because I need a card for my monitor cable to plug into.

Edited by smrtypntz7667, 20 September 2005 - 08:39 AM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Sims 2 is gonna struggle even on low settings with that PC and a fx5200.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
i think it would be Jerky and then for 1 to 2 seconds go normal then go jerky again even on an Nvidia GeForce FX5200 128MB and still jerks sometimes

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the old family system had twice the ram and an extra 600mhx on the cpu and a fx 5200, and it barely plays sims2, it hates it with a vengance it just doesnt play like it should for any decent period of time.

NvidiaDude

NvidiaDude

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
The drivers from the CD might be old versions go to http://www.nvidia.co...ers/drivers.asp and download latest driver from there :tazz:

smrtypntz7667

smrtypntz7667

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanx for the reply. I found some answers when I googled and found out ( I sure have learned alot about video cards in the past few days) that the agp 4X voltage is 1.5V and AGP 8X cards are 3.0. Some AGP cards are "universal" but that card will NOT work in my pc. I found a remedy though. I'm not stuck using the GeForce2 MX400. I have 5 extra PCI slots in my computer so I contacted Gateway and the guy is hooking me up with a GeForce FX5700 PCI with 128MB. Not top of the line but it will work in my pc and at least it's better than the GeForce 2. :tazz:

offamychain

offamychain

• Pip
  • 3 posts
That's what I was fixin' to suggest. I had troubles with getting AGP's to work in a store-bought Emachines, so upped to a PCI-4000. When I wanted to up again, I didn't even consider an AGP...just bought a 128-5500. They worked like a charm.

I recently started using another system which allows most all AGP's & went to a 256-6200. I also DL'd Coolbits & RivaTuner to tweak this cheaper card up to about 6600-level & notice that one of these programs lets you manually choose the AGP version...2x, 4X, 8X, etc.