Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird bug messing up windows desktop graphics

• Please log in to reply

Finsch

Finsch

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hello everyone

I have a strange Problem with my computer. This problem happens since i bought a new graphics board, a PNY 6800 GT with 256 megs.
I never overclocked this card or anything, i just installed it and thats it. At the moment i am runnung ForceWare 77.76, but i tried other versions also. Temperature is at 55 degrees Celsius, so that should not cause the problem either.

The Problem is, that the screen gets messed up at least once per windows session: This happen usually in connection with video files. I dont even have to launch them, just highlighting results in the problem (Preview is disabled). Sometimes, this happens when launching games or other problems.

It seems to change the resolution of the desktop, but in a very strange way. Everything is extremely enlarged in terms of resolution, but at the same time the windows look smaller than normal. See
http://img362.images...reenshot3iw.jpg
for a screenshot. I had to make it with a camera, because real screenshots just give the normal screen.
As you can see in
http://img362.images...=pointer3sw.jpg
the mouse pointer stays normal. The resolution of the mouse pointer remains the same. I can not click anything, because the real position of the mouse cursor pointer does not correspond to the position shown on the screen. This is noticeable when you move the mouse around at something gets highlighted during rollover: The highlight does not correspond to the cursor position.

Changing the resolution by launching a game (launching via hotkeys, because the mouse is unusable) brings me to the game, everything looks normal. When exiting, the problem is gone.

The videofiles are playable, most of the time everything works. But it does happen approximately once within an hour.

Can someone help me? Should i turn in my geforce 6800 ?
Any suggestions? Additional informations needed?

I am english second language, i hope everything is understandable.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, you should return that card. I have seen this several times and it has always been hardware, not software.

Finsch

Finsch

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hmm, i thought so too.
But i think i have narrowed the problem down. I must run the Opera browser, at least in the Background, for that problem to occure. If Opera browser has not been launched during the windows session, the problem seem not to happen, ever.