Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sound gone

• Please log in to reply

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: Can you help? My computer is telling me I have no audio device. I had one until I tried to get rid of a virus (with your help, geeks) and I now have not got any. I may have deleted it (is that possible?). If it is, how do I get it back. I am a complete novice when it comes to computers so I could have done anything!!. The virus was 'DrPMon.dll. I got rid of it but now have no sound. Please help. I miss listening to music etc. Aileen.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click my computer > manage > device manager. look for any yellow ?

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: Yes. Yellow question mark over 'Multimedia Audio Controller'. Is this bad/terminal. I have a Dell4800. Thats about all I know. Aileen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
no..it's not bad...it just means that you have to download the driver for your sound device...if you go to dell's website you should be able to find it by putting in the service tag number here http://support.dell....dex.aspx?~ck=mn

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: I did what you suggested. After entering my tag no. I got (The current configuration tool is currently not available for your operation system/brouser combination). Maybe it will be available later? Do you think? This is all new to me but I am very grateful for the help. Aileen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you may have an old version of explorrer (unless you're using firefox)....in device manager...right click on the sound card (the one with the yellow ?) and then click update driver...let it check the internet for the driver

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
you sed you have a dell 4800.....a dell what 4800? (inspiron? what?)

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: Thanks. Tried and the hardware instalation wizard tells me if my hardware came with an installation cd to insert it now. I don't know if it did or not. Which one should I look for, it came with a good few. Everything was already installed when I got it I think. It is a Dell Dimension 4600, with windows xp. Thank you so much for taking all this time. Aileen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
try this

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: Tried that. Still no audio device installed when I go to device manager. On the sound tab. (no audio device) Tried to play some music, (windows media player) graphics are moving to sound, no sound. Any other idea. Aileen.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.lavalys.c...cts.php?lang=en

download this so we can find out the exact sound device

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
:tazz: The exact device is - Intel 82801EB ICH5 - AC'97 Audio Controller [A-2/A-3] - does that look right. Aileen.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yup

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok..what model motherboard?

Aileen Delahunty

Aileen Delahunty

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Have sound through SoundMax but not through the original sound device. Is this o.k. or do I have to do something else? What is a motherboard. Or maybe that is not meant for me. Thank you for all your help and probably need lots more. Aileen.