Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gateway no post no video

• Please log in to reply

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have a problem I hope someone can solve for me. Gateway computer Msi 6330 motherboard, Cpu is AMD Athlon A 1000 AMT3B. It wont post and I get no video at start up. Can't get the Gateway screen to come on no video at all. I have removed the two memory sticks 256 (100) and tested them in another computer they work fine. Took out the video card Gforce mx400 tested in it another computer, works fine. I disconneted the drives tried to start the computer with just one stick of ram, nothing no post beep no video, keyboard doesn't load (it lights briefly when I turn on the power but nothing after that). The monitor seems to react when the computer turns on but nothing shows up on the screen. I tried to start with no memory installed and I get 3 beep code. I think the bios should be AMI. Power supply is Astec Atx250 -3505 seems to me working fine. I also tried removing the battery and rest jumpers with the power cord removed but that didn't help. I have also removed motherboard from the case and put it on a piece of wood and tried to start it. I got the same thing. Any suggestions on what could be preventing the computer from posting.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

When you power the computer on, does the LED on the screen turn from amber to green?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what kind of memory is it? pc100 3200? what? is this new ram? has it ever worked in this machine?

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Many of the earlier Athlon chips had very poor cooling design, a small die and a fairly thick layer of conductive plastic that didn't transfer heat very well. So many of them fail because of overheating.

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No the green light doesn‘t go on. The memory is pc 100 weather it worked in this computer or not I don’t know got the computer when the owner past away. The board supports both PC100 and PC133 from what I’ve read on Gateway site. It wasn’t working when I got it but I thought I would check it out for parts. It had a working CD-R drive in it. What got me curious was that everything in the computer was working except the hard drive. I am a tinker, no expert, but if the CPU is shot would the beep signals still work? I thought they wouldn’t?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, I've just had a quick look at the motherboard manual. Can you confirm the following things please :

1. There should be a 6 pin jumper block labelled JPW1 next to the main ATX power connector. This should have 3 jumpers installed on it, like this:
[ . . ]
[ . . ]
[ . . ]

2. Close to the cmos battery, should be a 3 pin jumper header, labelled JBAT1. Pin 1 of this header is the pin nearest the battery, the jumper should currently be covering pins 1-2.

Can you disconnect the main power lead & the internal ATX power connector from the motherboard. Move this jumper cap so that it covers pins 2-3 instead. Leave in this position for about 30 secs, then return the cap to cover pins 1-2.

3. A bit further down from the JBAT1 jumper, should be 2 pins labelled JGS1. These may be covered by a 2 wire connector. If so, unplug the connector.

4. Insert just one of the memory modules into ram slot 1 (slot furthest away from the CPU)

5. Make sure all drive cabling (floppy/HDD/CD) is disconnected from the motherboard but leave the power cables connected to the CDROM drive & floppy drive

Reconnect the ATX power connector & the mains power lead & power on the system again. Let me know what happens

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Ok Thank you for helping me with this. The mother board your looking at is a bit different from mine. here is a link to the one I have here. There seem to be a couple of these boards all a little different.

http://support.gatew...2517497mv.shtml

I followed your instructions and did everything you suggested. I also included trying the memory in each of the slots and trying two other memory cards I had in each of the slots just to make sure. As I said before they all work in another computer but I tried it anyway. The same thing happens. No post, no vedio.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
It looks very familiar, I've got one too, it seems to be a fried CPU, no beep, no post, no nothing.

PS, be carefull buying Athlons on the web, I'll bet they're selling a lot of bad ones.

Edited by Tyger, 20 September 2005 - 07:15 PM.

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
But I get the three beep code when I start with no memory so I don't think it is the CPU. I'm thinking could it be a mismatched CPU board combo. I am not sure what the CPU actually is because I have never gotten it to start.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I agree, I don't think the cpu's dead either. It sounds to me more like the motherboard or the video card. I know you said the video card works on another system but it may be incompatible with your system.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
<--Stupid sounding question-->...are you trying to put an agp card in a pci slot? or a pcie card in a pci slot? or any other compbination of square peg in round hole?

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
No I am pretty computer savvy I have assembled a computer. I am in agreement with Samm it is probably the video card or the AGP slot itself. I tried an old PCI Card in the PCI slot still no video. I am still tinkering and will report back any new developments. Thanks for your input.

Edited by kaydee216, 22 September 2005 - 09:40 AM.

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Here is the latest. I removed everything put in only one memory stick, the floppy drive and attached the keyboard and mouse, no video card. I get a series of beeps I think its 8, they go so fast it is hard to count. I think its because no video card is connected, then it seem like it is trying to boot from the floppy drive, then 2 beeps. The two beeps mean no AMIBOOT.Rom file not found in root directory of disk a, I found that on the Gateway site. I did a Googled search for AMIBOOT ROM and I got this from an MSI support page

BIOS Recovery Feature

For AMI BIOS

1. Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM
2. Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.
3. When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.
Then the keyboard number lock light goes on. I think it need

Sounds like a plan, only I can’t find this A569MS23.ROM file. I searched with google and I can’t find the file. I am thinking it is part of a flash bios file I down loaded from gateway but I can open that because I am on Win XP and it is a MSDos file.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi

Right, I've had a look at MSI's website and found several versions of the MS-6330 motherboard. Unfortunately none of them are physically identical to the one in the link that you posted.

I also looked on Gateways site for general bios beep code info. There appears to be several slightly differing versions of there beep codes available. One that I read (didn't state which bios manufacturer, but judging by the complexity of the codes, it looks like AMI), said that 2 short beeps means CHECKSUM ERROR. If this is correct, then thats perfectly normal as you've just cleared the cmos.

Can you post the link to the bios file that you downloaded from Gateway and can you also let me know what model of Gateway system you have as the motherboard model number doesn't seem to be helping much!

kaydee216

kaydee216

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Gateway select 1000 is what it says on the computer. Here is the link to the bios.

http://support.gatew...n&param=2516164

I was thinking I would load win 98 on to my computer as a second OS and go into it and open the file.