Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dvd sound problem

• Please log in to reply

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
:tazz: hi i have had this problem for a while now, the whole pc seems to be working fine but i cant get sound frm dvds i can c image ect but no sound, i get sound on every thing else and i tried on differant dvd progs, PLz HeLp, if u need any more info just gimme a shout!

Advertisements

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
help somone, plz!

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
rdhd1990,

Welcome to GTG.

I will try to step you through some basics. My batting average is weak on DVD problems(.300), but if you are willing to do a lot of work, so am I.

It's important that you are observant - since you are eventually going to fix whatever problems exist. First question - does the sound work on your PC for other applications? Reason - we need to see if this is a DVD problem or a sound problem.

bdlt

tazz1964

tazz1964

• PipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Hi
bdlt I see you woking on this one if you want any input pm me and I'll help out if I can

:tazz:

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
works fine on every thing but dvd

Edited by rdhd1990, 22 September 2005 - 09:08 AM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts

have had this problem for a while

was any hardware or software added prior to the sound going away?

Edited by bdlt, 22 September 2005 - 09:35 AM.

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
if no hardware has been replaced recently, let's start with the device drivers.

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager
left click the '+' for DVD/CD-ROM drives
double left click on the DVD drive
left click the Driver tab
do the uninstall, when done then restart the PC and let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers
test the sound on the dvd

if it still fails, then repeat the above steps and instead of uninstall, try the update driver option

please post the presence or absence of yellow '!' or red 'x' under DVD/CD-ROM drives as we work with device manager.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm not sure if it's neccessary for dvd drives but, is there a sound cable going from the dvd drive over to the mobo near the sound card? i know some cd roms need that cable for the sound to truly work.

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

do the uninstall, when done then restart the PC and let windows find new hardware and reinstall the drivers

if it still fails, then repeat the above steps and instead of uninstall, try the update driver option

please post the presence or absence of yellow '!' or red 'x' under DVD/CD-ROM drives as we work with device manager.

View Post

It says i have 2 dvd drives (i hav only one cd/dvd drive) which one do i uninstall see screenshot,

no yellow '!' or red 'x' as far as i can c

Attached File  help.bmp   436.76KB   81 downloads

Edited by rdhd1990, 22 September 2005 - 11:11 AM.

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

View Post

It says i have 2 dvd drives (i hav only one cd/dvd drive) which one do i uninstall see screenshot,

no yellow '!' or red 'x' as far as i can c

Attached File  help.bmp   436.76KB   81 downloads

Edited by rdhd1990, 22 September 2005 - 11:12 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
screenshot is empty

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

screenshot is empty

View Post

oh sorry try this

screenshot.gif

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
before we uninstall anything, we need to consider what dsenette mentioned.

i'm not sure if it's neccessary for dvd drives but, is there a sound cable going from the dvd drive over to the mobo near the sound card? i know some cd roms need that cable for the sound to truly work.

this is related to an earlier question

was any hardware or software added prior to the sound going away?

if hardware has been changed/altered prior to the sound problem, then check for a cable that may need to be connected.

otherwise, let's uninstall BOTH devices, reboot, and let windows find 'new' hardware and reinstall the drivers.

Edited by bdlt, 22 September 2005 - 11:28 AM.

rdhd1990

rdhd1990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

before we uninstall anything, we need to consider what dsenette mentioned.
this is related to an earlier question
if hardware has been changed/altered prior to the sound problem, then check for a cable that may need to be connected.

otherwise, let's uninstall BOTH devices, reboot, and let windows find 'new' hardware and reinstall the drivers.

View Post

hi, hardware not bin changed an i unistalled and reinstalled but still didnt work so i tried to update drivers but it didnt work i also tried to role back drivers to but to no avial

bdlt

bdlt

• PipPipPip
  • 875 posts
the easy fixes did not work, sorry.

it looks like the drivers are ok. let's look at the registry. the drivers are loaded based on the registry. we might suspect that the sound driver is not being loaded properly on bootup. let's try a couple of safe mods to the registry. here's the first.

try CCleaner and run the issues tab, using with the back up option

http://www.ccleaner.com