Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Asus vs DFI vs Gigabyte

• Please log in to reply

Streetwarrior

Streetwarrior

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Total newbie to overclocking and this forum :) so probably will get flamed.. hope i got the right category.

Have looked at some of the discussion lines and have bought kit to start building up to a rig (listed in profile - jup you guessed it, its the PC that ebay build :tazz: ) but have come down to which motherboard and need input from those wize prophets that sit in the pantheons of knowledge. (bla bla bla major suck up....)

the 3 Mobo's I'm looking at are:
*Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI (due to having the 6800 Ultra's from Gigabyte, but been told is limited on RAM overclocking and memory banks are close together = heating?)
*Asus ? (told they are rock solid and i dont want to go mental on overclocking, don't know how good though)
*DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR (pricey but lets me match my RAM but dumber than a plank(newbie) when it comes to config the bios)

Or should I be looking at another board not mentioned here - don't know what is out there :) ?

All help greatly appreciated. here is my components so far (in case profile can't be seen)
Thermaltake Tsunami Case (due to all aluminium + 2x 120 fans)
Enermax Noisetaker 600W (2x SLI)+ 2 fans
2x GeForce 6800 Ultra 256MB SLI PCI-e (do they require extra cooling?)
AMD Athlon 64 FX55 1MB L2Cache 939pin(ADAFX55ASBOX)
1 Gig (2x 512mb)OCZ PC4400 DDR550 GOLD LTD EDITION

Edited by Streetwarrior, 20 September 2005 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would go with an MSI one, best all rounder rock solid and a good overclocker. For ultimate overclockin the DFI but its generally for the more advanced people.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Dfi is good stuff. Hmm you are a beginner. I would go with Dfi or an expensive Msi. I dont recommend going cheap. You get what you pay for.

Edited by jrm20, 20 September 2005 - 07:28 PM.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
First of all, is ebay reliable? cuz im looking for new parts?

Anyways, i helped my friend OC his fatal1ty mobo

https://store.fatal1...m/hardware.aspx

Streetwarrior

Streetwarrior

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the inputs.. am reviewing all recommendations. Can't comment on the Ebay thing until i've put all the components together, hopefully no DOA's but will have to wait and see. I'll inform the board of the outcome, but if they all work I've saved a bundle..

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
If you dont want any DOA's then I wouldnt suggest DFI :)

I had 2 the first time I tried there nf3 socket 754 motherboard....I was soooo mad :)

I think there doing better now tho :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I just noticed you picked two 6800s, you know you would be better with 1 7800 cheaper as well.

Ebay can be fine if you stick to the shops that use it, but dont buy second hand stuff offf indivduals it can be a pain if something goes wrong with it, you arent covered by the same level of consumer law either, stick to ebuyer or overclockers(newegg in the states is good to)

Tempest210

Tempest210

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here are some numbers for you re: over clocking and using the AMD Athlon 64 FX-55 CPU.
(These number provided by PC Modder)
Using 3DMark 05, with rigs using a 128MB nVidia GeForce 6600GT PCI-E video card and 1GB of RAM.

ASUS A8V-E Deluxe.
Stock Performance: 3464 (2.6GHz)
Overclocked: 3525 (2.81GHz)

MSI K8N Nero Platinum SLI
Stock Performance: 3562 (2.6GHz)
Overclocked: 3608 (2.828GHz)

ECS RS480-M
Stock Performance: 3486 (2.6GHz)
Overclocked: 3547 (2.81GHz)

As a side note, the ASUS board is the easiest to work with out of the three.
Also as you can see by the numbers listed, you are not going to see enormous gains in speed.
Frame rates only jumped by a few frames a second. For Example, using the ASUS board you only pulled 1 or 2 fps more. (Sorry, I'm not sure what video setting they used for these tests.)

Half-Life 2
Stock - 47.8 fps
Overclocked - 49.6 fps

DOOM 3
Stock - 39 fps
Overclocked - 39.1 fps

Good luck with whatever you pick, not matter what, your system should rock with that CPU.