Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Network in XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

bigjodaflo

bigjodaflo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
i have the wireless on, but have no idea what the BIOS is.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
You can also try going to Windows Update and see if it has a driver listed for your wireless adaptor.

bigjodaflo

bigjodaflo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
1. i have no idea what wirless adaptor i have.
2. what is bios?

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

1. i have no idea what wirless adaptor i have.

Atheros 802.11g Wireless Adapter PCI is your wireless adaptor.

2. what is bios?

View Post

BIOS is what controls all the components of your computer and what allows the computer to turn on in the first place. You can usually get into the BIOS by hitting F1, F2, F10 or DEL when you initially turn on your computer/laptop. Look for the heading INTEGRATED PERIPHERALS and if there is an option to enable and disable the wireless adaptor it will be listed there.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Also make sure you SAVE your changes before you exit the BIOS if an option for enabling the wireless adaptor is found. If there is no option for enabling/disabling the wireless adaptor then DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING. Just exit and reboot the laptop.

bigjodaflo

bigjodaflo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Have done evrything and still no wireless option in network connections

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to ADD HARDWARE in CONTROL PANEL and let it search for devices not yet installed and see if it detects the wireless adaptor.

Edited by Fenor, 20 September 2005 - 04:35 PM.

bigjodaflo

bigjodaflo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
not there.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Nothing else I can think of it should be working. The adaptor could possibly be damaged.

bigjodaflo

bigjodaflo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
it is not as it worked perfectly yesterday
before i installed xp pro.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
XP should be able to detect it even if there are no drivers installed, but since it can't then that leads me to believe it is not working. Only other option is that you don't have the card enabled either through the BIOS or the button on the laptop to turn the wireless adaptor on/off.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...

Try This Driver from the Toshiba website...might be a better fit. Download it and extract the files...they will extract to C:Ateros Drivers.Temp. Navigate to the files, double click on the folder to open it and double click on setup.exe. Reboot.

We may have to set up a network connection in Network Places so if the driver above (which is listed for all Toshiba P15 versions) doesn't get you online, post back and we'll do that.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 05:16 PM.