Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAM Issues..very upset

• Please log in to reply

Otach

Otach

• Pip
  • 9 posts
So I have a Medion PC. I call Medion support to see how much RAM I can put in my computer, and I get to talk to a tech support at Medion PC's about RAM. I asked him if I can run two 512 mb sticks of Corsair SDRAM DDR PC3200 RAM on my motherboard, and he said the max speed my motherboard would run RAM at would be 2700...

HOWEVER, he said I could still use the ram, its just that it would run the PC3200 RAM at a 2700 speed. Thinking that I might possibly upgrade my motherboard in the future, and it would be nice to not have to upgrade RAM in the future also, I went ahead and ordered the PC3200 RAM from newegg.com.

So, I wait a few days and it comes in the mail. I pop the RAM in, and everything runs fine. Planetside (an online game) ran great, with GREATLY improved performance. However, every few minutes, the screen would flicker once, as if it was turned off and on for a split second. So I continued playing my game for about 2 and a half hours, and right as I was attacking a base (in game), the screen flickered again, but this time to a black screen, with some sort of error, and white text. It said something along the lines of

We got an error, etc etc, this might have happened if you installed new hardware. If this is the first time you got this error, restart your PC. If you encounter this again, turn off Cacheting and Shadowing in BIOS (or something like that)

some more text, then
BEGINNING DUMP OF PHYSICAL MEMORY, 1% (and counting)

So I restarted my computer, and it wouldn't boot past the first black screen. I turned my comp off and took out the ram...it felt a little hotter than my graphics card, but not too much. I called a representitive at MEDION PCs again, and I was -SHOCKED- to hear:

It is HIGHLY not recommended to use PC3200 RAM on a Computer that runs fastest RAM at PC2700. The RAM is faster than your PC.

This got me highly, HIGHLY frustrated, knowing someone told me it was alright to go ahead and buy it before.

So I waited a bit, and here I am now. The RAM is still in...my computer started up alright. It hasn't flickered so har, but then again, I'm not actively playing my game like before. I don't want it to crash again. Can someone help me?

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

Were you running the new ram alongside the old or did you remove the old stuff completely?

Also, what model of Medion PC do you have?

Otach

Otach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I removed the old ram completely. 2 slots, Corsair SDRAM DDR 512mb PC3200 RAM, one in each slot, running on a motherboard that will run PC2700

My medion PC model is MD 1453

Also, it crashed again with the same error...so im using my old ram now

Otach

Otach

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Do you think I'll have to return the RAM? I can't do anything to make it not crash?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
If you can't get the ram to work without crashing, then either return it or exchange it for some other ram thats the same spec as the old stuff