Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Few problems with windows 98

• Please log in to reply

dedrik

dedrik

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Just to start heres the specs on my computer. Compaq Presario R3060CA Notebook. 512 ram, 2.7ghz processor, 64mb ati mobility radeon 9200 video card.

Heres the problem. I recently decided to dual boot windows 98 and XP since i have a lot of old games that require a dos based operating system and i know i can get them running in XP its just a lot easier with 98. Anyways the most annoying problem is that every time i boot windows 98 it will all seem to load fine and just as it would go into windows the screen goes black with a blinking cursor in the corner and noting happens. Im not sure why this is happening but if i reboot and choose windows 98 again it will say that it was shut down improperly and it would make me choose between safe mode and normal mode and such. I choose normal mode and then windows 98 will boot up fine. Any help with this problem would be grately appreciated.

My second problem is that i know most of my hardware is not made for windows 98 but I managed to get most things working. The problem is I got the drivers for my modem which is Agere Systems AC'97 Modem. I managed to find drivers for it and I installed them and device manager says there installed and working properly but if I try to connect to the internet it say that it cant find the modem and to make sure it is turned on.

My last problem is my CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive. When i first installed windows 98 it worked the first time i booted but after that it wouldnt show up in device manager or in my computer. The drive is Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2512. I downloaded a driver that was supposed to make it work and it now shows up in my computer and some cds will work and some wont. I will be able to open the cds that dont work and see whats on them but i wont be able to run anything. Also I have an external Yamaha CRW-F1E USB 2.0 cd-rw drive and it wont detect that either and as far as i know there wasnt a driver cd for it and it IS supposed to work in 98 and it works fine in xp.

I know that none of this is problems with harware that is not working because windows xp works properly and if I boot xp everything works fine. Any help that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
The blinking cursor is almost always associated with problems with the video card driver.

dedrik

dedrik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The blinking has been happening ever since i installed windows 98. even before i installed any videocard drivers. I installed the latest ati drivers for windows 98 and it still does it.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Windows 98 might not be supported by the ati mobility radeon 9200 video card. You have 98 or 98se?

dedrik

dedrik

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have Windows 98 NOT windows 98se. the video card works fine and it shows up in the device manager and everything and i can play games and stuff but if theres an error or something like a missing vxd file the blinking cursor wont happen at all it will just go into windows everytime after you hit enter on the screen where it tells you that its missing.