Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Supply on an old Pentium 4 mobo

• Please log in to reply

killswitch1968

killswitch1968

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi everyone, first time poster here so I hope you can give me a hand with this awful Power Supply predicament.

I have a pentium 4, D850GB Intel motherboard. I recently upgraded the video card and found that my power supply was inadequate for its needs so I went and bought a new power supply. Everythign was fine until I try to put in the auxiliary cable:

http://www.planetbor...o2/DSC05161.jpg

My old power suppy unit had a"p6" style cable. The new one had a "p10" style cable. My first instinct was to call around and try and get a 400W power supply with a p10 cable. Most techs don't know what I'm talking about cus this is such an obscure little detail for a power supply. Most website description merely list that the auxiliary exists, without specifying its type.

So I have a few options:
1. Simply file down the p10 auxiliary cable so it'll fit. But this could seriously screw up my mobo. Does anyone know if a p10 will work in a p6 slot without damaging my hardware? I have the specs that each pin needs for voltage if that will help.
2. Keep the new power supply but leave the auxiliary cable out. In fact that what I'm doing now with my old supply just to see if it would work. Does anyone know if there are any consequences to leaving the auxiliary cable out? I mean that's what auxiliary means, right?
3. Keep searching for a power supply with a p6 cable.
4. Get a new video card with a less demanding Power.

Thank you for the help, sorry if this was too verbose :) Intle has discontinued support on my motherboard :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Welcome to G2G

You've already figured out what your options are yourself, ie. file down the P10 connector, don't use the aux power or get another PSU.

What you obviously need to check is that the P10 connector i supplying exactly the same voltages on the same pins as the P6. Most aux connectors like these are comprised of 3 black wires (ground), 2 orange (+3.3V) and a red (12V). If the colours match up then chances are the voltages are the same, check the label on the side of the PSU though - it should state the voltages on there.

Failing that, you could always test the actual voltages with a multimeter.

However, if you're not too happy about filing down the connector just yet and the system seems to running fine without it, then you could just leave if disconnected & see what happens. If you start to notice any strange behaviour, such as failure to boot up or certain devices not functioning properly, then you might need to connect up the aux after all.

killswitch1968

killswitch1968

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Edit: INstalled the power supply without the auxiliary power. So far so good :tazz: will report if anything bizarre happens.

Edited by killswitch1968, 21 September 2005 - 12:37 AM.