Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my PSU dead?

• Please log in to reply

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Ok, I know this is an obvious question, but I finally got to play a few games on my newly built PC, and I turned it off about 4 hours of running games. I tried to turn it on later, but all I got was a bright flash of case lights and a few beeps. One long, one short. I suspect that my PSU is dead. Hopefully it is the PSU because I already have an Antec 460W ION 2 on the way. Is it dead?

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Not necessarily. The first step to determine if your power supply is dead is to determine whether or not the power comes on. Can you hear fans turning and drives motors spinning up, see little lights on the front of the CPU case or hear any beeps?

If you don't have power, then most likely it's your PSU. You said you get the beep codes, which tells me it's not likely a power issue.

Now, depending on your MoBo manufacturer, which you didn't list, the beep codes are telling you what is wrong.

Standard beep codes tell us one long and one short beep means it's a board issue. I'd start by diagnosing if you have a bad board or not. In this case a new PSU won't help.

Edited by katkat92, 20 September 2005 - 05:18 PM.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
No fans, but I do get a very weak beep, one long one short which means "ATX power ready" according to my manual.
My manufacturer is Abit. Abit AN8

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

I keep running into these Xion psu's and most of them are no good so you made a good choice with the antec.

Most of the time when you here a weak beep code it is not reliable but does indicate the mobo is good because of the beep but it is to soon to speculate till you get the new psu in.

Keep us posted

Rick

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I hate that XION psu. It only has like 3 plugs on each on each set of wires, all on a 450W psu. Its like having a limo minivan with only one door. Two of the four pin connectors on each of the sets of wires are going to my 6800 GT, so every plug has like 6 splitters on it. lol. The night my psu died, I had ordered the new psu about 15 minutes before. weird.

mrdrphil007

mrdrphil007

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay! I got my brand new Antec PSU in and bam. computer powered right up. Thank you geeks!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
your welcome and glad that psu fixed the problem