Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant connect to the interent

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

tofu

tofu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
ok so i have winxp, linksys router with 3 computers connected....i booted up my comp today...and my internet doesnt work while the other two still works

i check my ip and it says the IP is like 169.XXX.XXX.XXX...its not 192.168.1.XXX

what should i od?

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
well lets make sure the network is still up and its just your own personal computer, in the start panel, click on search and then "search for other computers on the network", type in a name of another computer on ur network and see if you can accsess those files (make sure all computers are on and you have sharing folders and files turned on)

if this works then you are still connected to your router and your on the network, if this doesnt work then try it from another computer and how many other computers it see's,-if it only see's 2 then the computer without the internet is not conneceted to the router and you will not be able to get on the internet

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
The address of 169.254.x.y is enough to show it is not connected to the network anymore. This is the address windows assigns itself when it cannot contact the DHCP server (APIPA). 192.168.x.y is a different subnet than 169..... so it will be impossible for the computer to see any other computers on the network.

Do you have static Ip's setup on all the pc's or does the router assign your pc's their addresses via dhcp? Go to the infected computer and click Start, Run, type cmd click ok. Now type ipconfig /release hit enter. Next type ipconfig /renew hit enter if the dhcp is still set up correctly on your client then you should receive a new ip address. If you have static ip's then this will be a different procedure.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Unknown13

Unknown13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
KK, ill try that, but there are no other computers on my network.

Unknown13

Unknown13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
It didnt work :). I have tried that before and I have had the problem for about three days.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unknown....start your own topic....