Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hey guys! I got a "Error loading operating system"

• Please log in to reply

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
okay i will try

Advertisements

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i tried it and i still get that error, after the reboot part of the installation wat is it suppose to do

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you "press any key to boot from cd" just before this error? You should only tell the computer to boot from cd once at the beginning of the install. The second time the prompt appears you need to ignore it.

Edited by wannabe1, 20 September 2005 - 09:14 PM.

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i just tried it that way and it still dont work... is that bad?

davew9999

davew9999

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
im also having the same problem... just formatted again using a different XP CD and I still get the "Error loading operating system". My hard drive worked fine before I upgraded so i dont know what is wrong!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
chuunarusamurai...

Time to regroup...Go back into the BIOS setup and make sure your boot priority is set as follows: First Boot Device = CD-ROM...Second Boot Device = HDD (IDE 0)...Third Boot Device = Floppy Drive (if you have one) Make sure to save your settings when you exit BIOS.

With the installation cd in the drive...Reboot. If offered the option of more than one OS, choose XP Home and press Enter.

Let me know if your settings in BIOS were set differently than stated above and if changing them has helped.

wannabe1

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
the bios setting are the same as u said and just says that error

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
bump?

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
This is a very easy fix.

Go into BIOS, there should be an option to Load default BIOS options, or Load cmos defaults, something along that. Load them, exit BIOS and save. Problem Fixed.

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i only got load optimized, i use a n4 dfi infinity

Advertisements

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
this is problem is super gay... still says the same thing

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
Hello, chuunarusamurai.

Just to clarify, you went into the BIOS and selected Load optimized settings/defaults, then saved and exited the BIOS? If you did that and it's still doing that we still have a bunch of options left.

1. Boot into the recovery console using the xp cd you have, and try the following comands:

FIXMBR
FIXBOOT

2. Another method I know has very good chances is a low level format. Depending on what brand hard drive you have, (e.g. maxtor, western digital, seagate, etc..) you should download the software to do a low level from there website, and not use a generic one.

-OwNt

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

FIXMBR
FIXBOOT

View Post

Good call

That error means that for whatever reason, the windows setup did not properly write the boot code to the drive, or to the boot sector on the boot partition.

Anything funky we ought to know about, such as is this a multi-drive or multi-partitioned drive?

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
not really, i got a maxtor drive i'll try that thing real fast and let u guys know wat happens

chuunarusamurai

chuunarusamurai

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
this error is getting soo annoyin, its still sayin that gay error