Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Symantec programs will install

• Please log in to reply

Chapps

Chapps

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I hate Symantec products -- and have spent all day on the phone w/ tech support (in a splint after hand surgery -- typing w/ just my "bad" hand).

In a nutshell, neither Norton AV or Internet Security will install on my computer. Both will quit during the install process -- and if I have reporting turned on, it will say each "unexpectedly quit" ... but no other info. Yes, I've used SymNRT ... and redownloaded the download mgr and install programs, but nothing works.

Suggestions?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well if the "unexpectely quit" have you checked the application event log (right click on my computer, select manage, then event viewer. expand and look at the application log. Lets see if the system detected an issue an logged it.

I would also recomend that you download and run ewido (from http://ewido.net). Update the defs and let it run a full scan. just want to make sure that you don't have a virus or some spyware that is interfering.

and lastly have you run windows update and installed all the patches including service pack 2?

Chapps

Chapps

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
yeah, i've got lots of events logged. i can see the install failures, of which this typical:

Faulting application nisas05eng.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module nisas05eng.exe, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000a4e3.

I also have a couple from Bonjour (we also have a Mac in the house .. and I've shared it as a backup/iTunes server):

The description for Event ID ( 1 ) in Source ( Bonjour Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: mDNSResponder started

Then there's some of these from all of my reboots:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Userenv
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1517
Date: 9/20/2005
Time: 1:15:33 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: JOEY_D
Description:
Windows saved user JOEY_D\Joe D'Ambrosia registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use.

This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

And then a couple of these:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event ID: 1005
Time: 11:42:27 AM
User: JOEY_D\Joe D'Ambrosia
Description:
The Windows Installer initiated a system restart to complete or continue the configuration of 'Symantec Network Drivers Update'.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 43 41 30 41 31 45 35 {CA0A1E5
0008: 34 2d 43 45 30 46 2d 34 4-CE0F-4
0010: 33 36 36 2d 42 30 39 43 366-B09C
0018: 2d 41 38 37 42 36 31 44 -A87B61D
0020: 43 35 36 33 33 7d 2c 20 C5633},
0028: 33 30 31 30 3010

And this:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: ccSetMgr
Event ID: 2
Time: 11:32:39 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Description:
The description for Event ID ( 2 ) in Source ( ccSetMgr ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: The event log file is corrupt..

Too many to post here ...

I'll run that prog you suggested.

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Have you previously ever had any Norton/Symantec products on your computer that you have uninstalled? Norton/Symantec programs are notorious for not uninstalling well and making future install attempts frustrating. There is a sticky on this forum about a program that cleans up a previous install/uninstall of Norton/SYmantec products.

Cheers,
Tom

I hate Symantec products -- and have spent all day on the phone w/ tech support (in a splint after hand surgery -- typing w/ just my "bad" hand).

In a nutshell, neither Norton AV or Internet Security will install on my computer.  Both will quit during the install process -- and if I have reporting turned on, it will say each "unexpectedly quit" ... but no other info.  Yes, I've used SymNRT ... and redownloaded the download mgr and install programs, but nothing works.

Suggestions?

View Post