Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Share permissions for XP Home

• Please log in to reply

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
A customer has XP Home, now w/SP2 running Avast! Home Ed., ZoneAlarm Free firewall, and Ewido................ all running in system tray. She wants to keep her son from logging into his {Limited User} account and disabling/closing these programs for security reasons.

I switched the sons acct from Admin to Limited user, then logged into the Admin acct from SafeMode and added his username acct to the folders which the above programs reside, and only gave HIS ACCT read and list folders permissions, but when I logged into his acct., it still allowed me to shut down Ewido guard and the Avast! AV guard

I'd appreciate any guidance on this one - I did NOT check any blocks to deny anything, only unchecked most of the allow blocks except the read and list directories. The mom is a computer admin. acct and has standard/default permissions.

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
NOTE: Title is incorrect; this deals with SECURITY permissions, not share permissions.................... dang-it-all.................

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unfortunatly...the local permissions will not allow you to set weather someone can close a program...just weather they can access and start the program....you may be able to set the program itself to not show up in the task bar (though this would be how it would work on all users)...but they would still be able to terminate the process through task manager...

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
If this is a major problem the only way I can think of to fix this is to upgrade to XP Professional and set Group Policies.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
jr...long time no see.....i haven't seen anything in GP that allows you to dissallow the shutting down of software...

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hey how ya doin :tazz: Ya you're probably right, I just thought I had before, but could be wrong.

-=jonnyrotten=- :)

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I looked at Local Security Policies on XP Pro (My machine) to test out some ideas, but came up empty so far, unless I am missing seeing the software or whatever restriction to prevent users from accessing the system tray. I can use the MS shared computer toolkit to prevent access to the task manager, but I am unable to hide the icons from showing up in the tray [ If I could do that AND prevent taskmanager, it might work)

I think XP Home has Local Security policies.............? I thought I saw it the other day when I was there.............. But that's why I'm only experimenting with Local policies

EDIT: I also looked at options in the running programs themselves and no joy........... ca :tazz: n't hide the icon nor keep it from being stopped. Hmmmm................... maybe there is a service associated that I can prevent from being shut down................

Edited by kd1966, 21 September 2005 - 01:59 PM.

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
I found the solution - HOWEVER, it is not a MS solution.......... so it should work great! :tazz:

It's a program called Taskbar, is FREE, but doesn't work so well in safemode, but forr what I need, it will do. Thanks everyone for the help :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
where did you find this program please?

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hang on................. looking for the link again.............

EDIT: http://www.angelfire...al/taskbar2.htm

UPDATE: I am having problems testing this prog. - I get error msgs when I try to run it in either limited user mode or admin mode; msg as follows:

[In a dialog box titled - Project1]

Runtime error '453'
Can't find DLL entry point RegisterServiceProcess in Kernel32

Edited by kd1966, 22 September 2005 - 07:07 PM.