Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

On my 3rd router! please help!

• Please log in to reply

kalaniwavo

kalaniwavo

• Pip
  • 8 posts
OK... if anyone here can help me I will be indebted to you for the rest of my life!

Here is the deal. I have 2 computers set up in my house and and both are set up on a wired network through a router. The problem is the router drops my connection. I never had this problem with just one computer... never. So it has the router.

When the connection is lost the LOCAL AREA CONNECTION STATUS with still say connected and speed 100.0MB. Packets are still being sent, but not received. Both computers will lose the connection at different times randomly. Sometimes if I repair the connection, disable the connection, or cycle power to the router I can get in internet to come back on. But this rarely works and 95% of the time I have to restart the computer. Also... it seems that the connection is rarely lost when I am actively surfing the net... This could just be because most of the time I have JUST restarted the computer though. I usually end up restarting the computer twice a day to keep a connection.

Now, obviously I assumed it was the router. I called Belkin 3 times and they walked me through the troubleshooting.. Finally they determined I had a BAD router. I exchanged the router hooked up a new Belkin router and I have the SAME problem. After some more phone calls to Belkin... They said flat out they don't know... I took that router back and I am on my 3rd router, a LINKSYS. Still have to same problem.

I have again tried just one computer straight from the modem and the connection stays good for weeks. I am chasing my tail now! pleeeeaaase if you have ANY idea at all... I will try anything..

Thank you in advance!
Nick Osborne

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
what model LINKSYS router do you have?

Edited by brianmil0923, 21 September 2005 - 09:29 AM.

kalaniwavo

kalaniwavo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Its model BEFSR41

Nick

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

linksys has great tech support: email, chat and phone - ive used all three! and all problems (three) solved. maybe they are better than Belkin.

View Post

Belkin................ is this the same Belkin that sells/markets cheap-a#$ printer cables/hubs............ :tazz:

If so, then I wouldn't put much stock in Belkin.............. the two best consumer routers IMO are Linksys [bought by Cisco.......] and D-Link[#2 imo]

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
if you are using WINDOWS XP, please click this Link!

If not please post back