Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Replaced file with older version, please help!

• Please log in to reply

moderatelygood

moderatelygood

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, please offer advice:

I drag and dropped a quite important file from the D drive to E drive and clicked 'OK' to replace file of the same name. Problem is, the file I replaced was actually the newer one that I needed. I realized a couple minutes later. I tried undo, but I'm left with the same older file. I have system restore turned off. Is there any possible way to recover the file? Temp folder somewhere? It was a file that I was working on earlier and my computer has NOT been restarted or anything.

As to file type, it's *.cwp and is a proprietary file for a clients album we've been working on in my recording studio.

Hopefully there's a way.

Thanks!

System - Athlon 64 3200+ with 1024 Corsair TwinX, XP Pro SP1, and all the bells and whistles running IDE and SATA drives in a NON raid configuration.

Edited by moderatelygood, 21 September 2005 - 12:14 AM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Not good. If you had merely deleted the file (in which case Windows only marks the space as being free), you would have had a very good chance of 'undeleting' it provided you did it straight away. However, since the file has been overwritten by the older version, I would say your chances of getting it back are nil. The file no longer exists.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
curious, depending on what the thing was would restoring the machine to its last back place help? Is it a program then

moderatelygood

moderatelygood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you for the replies. It's as I thought. Unfortunate.

Fleamailman, I have system restore turned off, so no go.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
If your file was music (data) system restore wouldn't have helped anyway.

SR Overview:
http://www.microsoft...mb_tol_fngj.asp
What's restored and what isn't:
http://msdn.microsof...stemrestore.asp

Johanna

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I seem to recall in XP there is a file restoring utility for deleted files. I never had occasion to use it, it may have been removed in SP2. It worked by putting the file name in, but I don't know if it would look for more than one instance of a file.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Tyger,
Are you thinking of XP's Backup Utility? You have to make the backups first, and it's not included by default on XP home.
http://support.micro...kb;en-us;320820

Moderatelygood,
I can't think of anything to restore an overwritten file. Sorry.
Johanna

moderatelygood

moderatelygood

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you Johanna, appreciate the time.

Matt