Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing WININET.dll -Moved From OS forums

• Please log in to reply

Nik1473

Nik1473

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I'm looking at a friends system for him which has all sorts of Malware/Spyware etc.

The Active desktop now invites him to "Click here as your PC is infected". He is running Windows ME on a celeron 667mhz PC.

Upon startup it reports that WININET.dll is NOT FOUND.

I can't even access the CD Drives, I have to do a ctrl-Alt-Del to restart it each time as it hangs on this error report.

I did (once) manage to get to the desktop by listing running processes and ending "Explorer". It won't let me access the internet or properly install any programs like Adaware, AVG etc. I did manage to install and run HiJackThis but I have no way of saving the report.

The best I could do is to write down the running processes which are:

HPZIPMIZ
QUICKDCF
SYSTRAY
HPWUSCHD
HPZTSB09
INTELL32 ..... spelled with 2 "L"'s
NTMU32
QTTASK

I have just managed to get into safemode, but I can't obviously access the CD drives as the drivers haven't loaded.

Any help & advice greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.

Nik.

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

That system is severely infected with malware..

Go to THIS LINK and follow the directions exactly..

Once you have finished, post a HiJackThis log in the Malware Forum (link is in my signature) and let the guru's there have a go at it!!

Murray

Nik1473

Nik1473

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks very much for your reply. I've followed the link which takes me to the "This is the first thing you do" page. I'm sorry if I didn't make it clear but I can't GET to the desktop properly. It takes about 30-40 attempts of ctrl-alt-del at exactly the right time, to end "Explorer" via task manager, and then it lets me onto a very "poorly" desktop. I have tried to install AVG & Adaware at this point, but it just flashes up with loads of errors before I get the opportunity to run it. I found a link relating to repairing/replacing the missing .dll and a Microsoft knowledge base recommended a fix (KB890923) which I downloaded on my good PC and transferred to the Win ME machine. Again, it wouldn't load. I'm at a loss as to how to get a HiJackThis log onto the forum as the CD drives don't work either. I have read the log and there are several references to [bleep] sites etc. No surprises as to how it ended up this way, and no sign of any maintainance having been done in the past.

Any further ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Nik.

Edited by Nik1473, 21 September 2005 - 03:06 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Oh boy.. Okay, what happens when you try to use the cd-rom drive??

Does the system have a floppy drive ??

Murray

Nik1473

Nik1473

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thx again for your reply.

Once I finally get on to the desktop (Hit & Miss!) I can access the CD drives, and I assume the floppy drive. I have just tried to install AdAware again but it keeps referring me to the missing dll and tells me the program cannot be found (I checked the installation folder and the .exe is there). I also tried to install Nero 6 in the hope I could burn a disc with the HiJack log and save all his business documents (which, incidentally, is the bare minimum we are trying to achieve!) but I get the same "bad" installation issues.

So, the CD drives read fine, but burning-wise, it won't allow any burning to take place - it just keeps reporting the drives as empty.

So I'm sitting here on my perfectly OK WIN XP system, hoping I can find/download something, burn it onto a disc and transfer it to the "bad" system!! But I have a sneaky feeling it's gonna be an awful lot more complicated than that!!?

Should I be trying to log on again, and save the hi-jack log onto floppy? (My system doesn't have a flippin floppy, but I have a THIRD system that has both if necessary!)

Cheers.

Nik.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Should I be trying to log on again, and save the hi-jack log onto floppy? (My system doesn't have a flippin floppy, but I have a THIRD system that has both if necessary!)

Cheers.

Nik.

View Post

If you can do that it would be a great help to the Malware guru's..

If it wasn't for the possibility of cross-contamination, I would suggest moving their hdd to another system and saving their files to it and then doing a complete fdisk, format and re-install!!

Murray

Nik1473

Nik1473

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm not putting his H/D anywhere near my lovely clean system!!

I did get the log (what a fanny-about!) and here it is. makes interesting reading I'm sure!

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 23:00:43, on 21/09/2005
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB09.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\HP SOFTWARE UPDATE\HPWUSCHD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\DESKTOP\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = res://C:\WINDOWS\kxtke.dll/sp.html#66987
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = http=http://www-cache.freeserve.net:8080;ftp=http://www-cache.freeserve.net:8080
R3 - Default URLSearchHook is missing
O2 - BHO: Class - {3901E8B9-569B-50AA-35AC-D0FC976E91F1} - C:\WINDOWS\JAVADB.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Companion - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\COMPANION\INSTALLS\CPN\YCOMP5_5_7_0.DLL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCHealth] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\Support\PCHSchd.exe -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb09.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHUPD05] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\{45B6180B-DCAB-4093-8EE8-6164457517F0}\hphupd05.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HP Software Update] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon05] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPHMON05.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPIJ32.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IPIJ32.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NAVNet] "C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\F062.TMP" /m
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [intell32.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\intell32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PSGuard] C:\Program Files\PSGuard\PSGuard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [KB891711] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KB891711\KB891711.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [NTMU32.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NTMU32.EXE /s
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - Startup: hp instant support.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
O4 - Global Startup: ZoneAlarm.lnk = C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zonealarm.exe
O9 - Extra button: Related - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Show &Related Links - {c95fe080-8f5d-11d2-a20b-00aa003c157a} - C:\WINDOWS\web\related.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\PROGRA~1\MESSEN~1\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .com: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.free4internet.com/
O16 - DPF: {90C9629E-CD32-11D3-BBFB-00105A1F0D68} (InstallShield Setup Player) - http://www.installen...gine/isetup.cab

I look forward to your reply!

Nik.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Ya, it's pretty well loaded but you needed to post it in the Malware Forum, not here!!

I will see if I can get a Malware guru to move it so they know it is open..

Murray

Nik1473

Nik1473

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Shall I leave it with you to pass on to a Guru then, or shall I post it in the Malware removal section?