Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Share Permissions help

• Please log in to reply

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
A customer has XP Home, now w/SP2 running Avast! Home Ed., ZoneAlarm Free firewall, and Ewido................ all running in system tray. She wants to keep her son from logging into his {Limited User} account and disabling/closing these programs for security reasons.

I switched the sons acct from Admin to Limited user, then logged into the Admin acct from SafeMode and added his username acct to the folders which the above programs reside, and only gave HIS ACCT read and list folders permissions, but when I logged into his acct., it still allowed me to shut down Ewido guard and the Avast! AV guard

I'd appreciate any guidance on this one - I did NOT check any blocks to deny anything, only unchecked most of the allow blocks except the read and list directories. The mom is a computer admin. acct and has standard/default permissions.

NOTE: I used SECURITY permissions, not share, as this is a standalone system and no network. Also, I copied this from the Network area, as apparantly, I selected the wrong area..............ooopsy

Edit: Trying to keep this on the 1st page

Edited by kd1966, 21 September 2005 - 08:34 AM.

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Didn't work, so *bump*

EDIT: I've downloaded and installed the MS shared computer kit and tested it on a limited acct., but I don't see anything that will restrict a non-admin from closing running programs in the system tray. Hiding icons is on a per user acct basis, so that is done once the user is logged in, and doesn't keep them from closing the programs.

I'm still looking..................... :tazz:

Edited by kd1966, 21 September 2005 - 11:03 AM.

kd1966

kd1966

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
dang it................. I just noticed the title; this is NOT for share permissions, it is for SECURITY permissions.............. doh!