Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Where is my desktop?!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

nikkinoodle

nikkinoodle

• Pip
  • 2 posts
[B][FONT=Times][SIZE=7][COLOR=red] I dont know why but my desktop has disappeared!
I installed xp on to my old PC 2 days ago and it was running ok i thought. Today it has booted up with a blank blue screen instead of the desktop. ctrl alt del works and I can then access things through the task manager.

This PC has been slow for years and its not even been used for over a year. It was so rubbish with windows 98 I decided to start a fresh by loading XP instead. Im not a computer whizz so I only know the very basics and this is beyond me! Please help! :tazz:

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy and welcome to G2G:

First off, did you make sure the system was able to handle XP - hardware, amount of ram, etc??

Second, has your XP cd been used on another system?? If so, you won't be able to activate it..

Lastly, have you tried running a REPAIR ??

Murray

nikkinoodle

nikkinoodle

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Im sorry to say that yes my xp is already on my laptop and no i did not check the operating system and i would not know where to start with anything else.

I feel a bit stupid now! :tazz:

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Im sorry to say that yes my xp is already on my laptop and no i did not check the operating system and i would not know where to start with anything else.

I feel a bit stupid now! :tazz:

View Post

Unfortunately, you are running what would be considered a pirated copy of XP on your old system and our ToS does not allow us to provide support for pirated software of any type..

You are going to need to remove XP from that system and go back to whatever legal install version you have or purchase another license to allow the install..

This post is now closed.

Murray