Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin Wireless Router - Please Help

• Please log in to reply

franklymrshankly

franklymrshankly

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi guys, i've been driven crazy by by wireless router and network card, and hope somebody can help.

My products are:Belkin ADSL Modem wwith high speed mode wireless-g router and Belkin Wireless G Desktop netwrk card.

Ive installed the router on the downstairs pc, and think its working ok (theres a green statement which says connected)

However, my network card on my upstairs pc (20-30 feet upstairs) isn't picking up any signal at all.

Ive tried re installing it etc but to no avail. There just seems to be no signal.

Can you please help?!!

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Before the admins get to you, can you verify that you have your wireless network card properly installed and being recognized?

Then log into your router and see if you have any wireless encryption enabled (WEP or WPA)

Have this info ready for the admins................. also info on the OS's you are using

Edited by kd1966, 21 September 2005 - 11:09 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
franklymrshankly(this position i've held, it pays my way and it corrodes my soul).....right click on my computer > manage > device manager...look for any yellow ? (on the machine with the wirless card)

franklymrshankly

franklymrshankly

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ive just reinstalled it, and windows has recogonised it. It's there and seems to be working ok.

The thing is the wireless light on the front of the router is NOT flickering to show activity. However when I reset it, it works (albeit only transfering at 1 or 2 MBS) then it stops working! Why is this? It's so frustrating that evrthing seems to be installed, but just not working!

Im using windows xp and ive updated to service pack 2. The encryption on the router has been disabled.

What do you mean look for something yellow?

Edited by franklymrshankly, 21 September 2005 - 12:59 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello franklymrshankly,

Problem 1 is that you put the router downstairs and the wireless network card upstairs. wireless routers broadcast in an umbrella pattern (meaning out and down), for best signal reception move the router upstairs. This brings us to the next point... How much signal strength do you have?

To check it go to the "Start" button, then to "Control Panel", Then to "Network and Internet Connections", then to "Network connections", then right click on the "Wireless local area connection" and select "Status". Of the 5 bars in the lower right of this Window - how many are green?

The yellow that dsenette was referring to, tells whether or not the correct drivers are loaded for the Network card or if the device is malfunctioning in some way.

This can be determined by right clicking on the "My Computer " icon then selecting "Properties" from the list. Then select the "Hardware" tab and then click on the "Device Manager" button. Scroll down to the "Network Adapter" and click on the "+" sign.

This will list all the netowrk devices on your computer. If any of them have a Yellow Exclamation Point, Yellow question mark, or Red X, then right click on it, and select "Properties". This will bring up another window. In this window look down were it says "Device Status" and it will tell you if the card is functioning correctly, if the drivers are not loaded, if corrupted or incorrect drivers are loaded, or if the the device has an error code, or is just BROKE.

If there is no Yellow Exclamation Point, Yellow question mark, or Red X then your operating system thinks the device should be working fine
:tazz:

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hmmm................... that explains my superior reception [W-Router is upstairs].............lol

EDIT: On the other hand................ I've done home network installs where the customer MUST have the W-Router downstairs.............. and it still works well

Edited by kd1966, 21 September 2005 - 04:30 PM.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
I guess your superior router is the ecxeption to the rule KD... or maybe you live in the bermuda triangle... or maybe aliens from space are amplifying your signal. :tazz: The umbrella I spoke of in that last post is stated in most instruction booklets for wireless routers and can be found on just about any wireless networking forum... Here is alink for your reading pleasure:

http://www.solwise.c...ingwireless.htm
Pay particular attention to the section on Antenna Gain!

Every home network install I have ever done (in a 2 story or more house) the router always goes on the the top floor. If i could put it in the attic without it overheating I WOULD.

I haven't found any reason why a wired or wireless router would HAVE to go downstairs, unless maybee the installer was too lazy to move the Modem with the router and the wiring along with it. <------- very common with DSL companies, not Cable companies :)

The comments above were JOKES KD.... I was not being serious. We are all entitled to our own opinions and this is a forum where "ADVICE" is freely given and the users requesting help, are expected to sift through the bull$&^@.

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well, apparantly you didnt' get MY joke............... I did say I had my own personal router [Wireless] upstairs, so that must be the reason for my "superior" reception........... NOT an exception to your rule...........lol

I don't argue w/ clients as to where they want their internet connection - that's the ISP-customer issue............ I just work the home network part and deal with where the DSL/Cable modem/main computer system is