Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Media Player - sound but no video

• Please log in to reply

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
you guys probably get this all the time, but i'll be quick

video files, both .avi
play sound but no video
in Windows Media Player version 9.00.00.3250

they are tv epsiodes so they are around 330 MB each

my pc (if it helps):
p2, 435 mhz, 256 mb ram
64 mb graphics card

and if i transfer these to my mac will they work?
(os x 10.4) with quicktime pro

thanks alot in advance, really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You could also just download Quicktime to your PC and use that for your .avi files rather than WMP !!

Murray

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

This sounds like a codec problem. Do you have any of the avi codecs installed like Divx or Xvid? For a nice, lightweight fast media player that will play ANYTHING (including DVD's), I highly recommend the free open-source Media Player Classic, you can download it here:
http://sourceforge.n...ackage_id=84358

One way to see what codecs your video files require is to use a codec/video inspector that will tell you what codecs that particular file is requesting. I recommend the free program "VideoInspector", it is very easy to use (drag and drop video file onto program window) and even will give you links to download missing codecs. Check it out:
http://www.kcsoftwar...ex.php?download

Cheers,
Tom

you guys probably get this all the time, but i'll be quick
video files, both .avi
play sound but no video
in Windows Media Player version 9.00.00.3250

they are tv epsiodes so they are around 330 MB each
my pc (if it helps):
p2, 435 mhz, 256 mb ram
64 mb graphics card

and if i transfer these to my mac will they work?
(os x 10.4) with quicktime pro
thanks alot in advance, really appreciate it!

View Post

aldaros23

aldaros23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
thanks, i was thinking codec problem - i'm gonna check it out

aldaros23

aldaros23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
oh how do you install the codecs???

i tried to unpack it into the system32 folder but i dont know how to install it

gust0208

gust0208

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
Hello,

Which codec are you refering too? Both are typical install programs, not sure what would be unpacking. Here are the links for the Divx and Xvid codecs that I use:

Divx: http://www.divx.com/.../play/download/

Xvid: http://www.koepi.org....3-20122004.exe

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Tom

oh how do you install the codecs???

i tried to unpack it into the system32 folder but i dont know how to install it

View Post

MSPDave

MSPDave

• Pip
  • 1 posts
WMP Audio but no Video: Believe me! I've read all the forums on this and other sites and have attempted every sort of solution and even downloaded WMP 10.0 but still the same result: Audio would play but not video. The video screen was either green or black. I have a recently purchased HP pavilion Model a1040n with a Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB ram, 200 GB HD, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128 MB shared video memory.

With all this power, who would have thought therefore to make the following change to WMP: In the "Video" menu drill down to "video acceleration" as follows: Video | Tools | Options | Performance | Video Acceleration

The default video acceleration slide is at "Full" meaning "Full video acceleration (recommended)"

I moved the slide to "none" meaning "No video acceleration. Select if you are experiencing severe playback problems" Once saved in this position, I was able to view video once again!

I went into the same menu and placed the slide in the middle "Some video acceleration. Select if you are experiencing video playback problems". Once saved in this position, I got no video once again.

Regarding codecs: An option in Video | Tools | Options | Player is to "download codecs automatically" on a daily, weekly or monthly schedule. I assume that if the player needs one, WMP will find it and download it.

musicsteve

musicsteve

• Pip
  • 1 posts

WMP Audio but no Video: Believe me! I've read all the forums on this and other sites and have attempted every sort of solution and even downloaded WMP 10.0 but still the same result: Audio would play but not video. The video screen was either green or black. I have a recently purchased HP pavilion Model a1040n with a Pentium 4 processor, 1 GB ram, 200 GB HD, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 with up to 128 MB shared video memory.

With all this power, who would have thought therefore to make the following change to WMP: In the "Video" menu drill down to "video acceleration" as follows: Video | Tools | Options | Performance | Video Acceleration

The default video acceleration slide is at "Full" meaning "Full video acceleration (recommended)"

I moved the slide to "none" meaning "No video acceleration. Select if you are experiencing severe playback problems" Once saved in this position, I was able to view video once again!

I went into the same menu and placed the slide in the middle "Some video acceleration. Select if you are experiencing video playback problems". Once saved in this position, I got no video once again.

Regarding codecs: An option in Video | Tools | Options | Player is to "download codecs automatically" on a daily, weekly or monthly schedule. I assume that if the player needs one, WMP will find it and download it.

I just got my Video Card to work at Full speed AGP Great Right!
Than I went to use My Ati HDTV & I found out that I had Sound & No Video & My Other Video Editing had the same problem!

So I did what you said I turned it down & the Editing software worked but ATI HDTV did not so I turned it up & than again & now everything works

THANKS! :) :)

dheld2

dheld2

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After months of living without Media Player I just received an automatic update of AMD Catalist software for windows 7.

This update fixed my Media Player Sound but no video problem.

I have an ATI Radeon HD 5700 video card and the catalist software is for this card.

DJ928

DJ928

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I tried windows player classic and installing codec from links I've seen. Problem not solved. Can someone help me? Moderate computer skills here. Thanks

ChrisLAVI

ChrisLAVI

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After having this problem for almost a year and installing many different codec packages and different players this is what worked. Open device manager and delete your display adapter, in my case it is a ATI Radeon 8300 HD series.Reboot the computer, the computer will reinstall the adapter, problem solved.

sappie

sappie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I use download.cnet.com for most downloads so go there or just type in avicodec, download (reject toolbars etc), hey presto - it works and no COM Surrogate error either xx :thumbsup:
Let me know if it works for you

Edited by sappie, 18 March 2013 - 02:56 PM.