Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Making computer more efficient, faster

• Please log in to reply

I love my vans

I love my vans

• PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
I have XP on two of my own computers.

I regularly run programs such as Crap Cleaner, Ad Aware, Spybot S&D to keep them rid of malware, and files cloggin up my pc.

Im guessing this keeps it fresh but is there anything i can do to make it faster? any software that can dig deep and fix problems or woteva, anything.

Cheers

ILMV

Advertisements

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
hmmmmmmmmm............ put it in a Ferrari........??

sorry.......... couldn't resist...........lol

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
To increase speed in XP, add more memory. XP likes memory. 256Mb is so-so, 512 is good, a gig is better. Defragging doesn't make a noticeable difference in speed probably because XP does it on the fly. (Beware of third party defraggers, because they can fight with XP about where to put things.) You are already doing the usual routine of scanning and cleaning for unwanted malware and other stuff. It doesn't hurt to pop the case and clean the fans now and then. This won't help speed much, but it protects your processor from heat. I cleaned mine this morning and my temps dropped about 12 degrees. XP is a hardy fellow, and will recover (unseen) from most minor problems, but it doesn't hurt to have a look in the event logs from time to time to see if any errors are repeatedly happening. (Located in Admin Tools)

Your internet connection may fluctuate, but if it's always slow, you may want to call your ISP and complain or upgrade your service. You can also go to PCPitstop and run a scan. It will detail possible solutions for problems it detects, and let you know how to get better performance with what you do have to work with.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

Johanna

kd1966

kd1966

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Wow! If XP defrags "on the fly" as you say.................... why do so many people have fragged drives to the tune of >1.5 frags per file............. way above the recommended by XP [I think <1.2 is the #]
And also if XP defrags on the fly...................... why would anyone need to EVER defrag??? Don't make sense to me.......................You are correct about the memory (RAM), as XP is the latest MS HOG.......... but 512+RAM will do wonders for system performance, if other settings are optimized as well. Keep your system dust free by checking twice a year, unless you live in a very dirty area (Then once a month, imo). If you are having problems w/internet performance and there is nothing wrong with your system settings, have whatever co. do a line check - I personally helped save a person over $100 by having the phone co. check her lines; seems she never should have been sold DSL in her area...........