Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New router, or just a network switch

• Please log in to reply

omniviz

omniviz

• Pip
  • 3 posts
With the purchase of the xbox this Christmas, I am now in need of additional ports for network access. I currently have a Linksys BEFSR41 ver 2 router that is about two years old. My question is:

Do I just buy a network switch and uplink from the router to it, or are there significant enough enhancements (esp security) to the newer routers that I should get a new Linksys router and just turn off the dhcp on the current one and use it as a switch? . . . or should I buy a new 8 port router?

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
You could buy a new 8 port router if you want, it would most likely be the best choice, yet maybe the most expensive. I would probably buy a switch and connect what you need to to that and then plug it into the router. I don't know what the advancements would be if you were to buy a newer router compared to your 2 year old one. I'm sure there's security advancements and more features, but for basic use I couldn't say if it would be worth it. If your current router's firewall is good for you now then a newer one might not be worth the extra money. Hope this helps out a little.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: