Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP reboots IMMEDIATELY after login.

• Please log in to reply

oldtrekky

oldtrekky

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just replaced my MB because SATA wasn't running at full speed (3MB/SEC instead of 150MB/Sec per SiSoft Sandra performance tests). As soon as I login, I do get my desktop but the system *immediately* begins shutting down (not just a re-start). If I reboot into safe-mode, I find a 7026 event in the Event manager that says:
The following boot-start or system-start drivers failed to load:
BANTExt
Fips
cdudf_xp
Processor

I ran CHKDSK /F from safemode (which, of course, ran after re-booting).

I have not changed ANY hardware or connections (out of money for now (:-} ) and a MB change is enough to make me keep everything else stable.

PS. While I waited for the new MB, I removed the IDE drive (which was ONLY used for backup of files on the SATA, not whole system) and put it in another XP PRO machine to be able to continue working with the backups.

All drives are formatted as NTFS.

Any hints you can give to help determine my problem would be gratefully appreciated.

regards

Advertisements

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
cdudf_xp.sys is part of Roxio's CD Burning Software; did you install any Roxio product?
If yes, then re-install it. And try to boot again.

Edited by darth_ash, 22 September 2005 - 03:18 AM.

oldtrekky

oldtrekky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Since I can only login if I boot in Safe Mode, I can't do product installs/removes. The Roxio product I have is PhotoSuite 5, which was instaleld with another product. I've never used the PS5. Should I try a "repair" of XP?

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
What we will do is stop cdudf_xp.sys from loading at boot; so that you can boot propely.

Boot into Safe-mode and follow the stepsa below:
Start -> Run.
Type: services.msc
Press <enter>

Look for CD-UDF NT Filesystem Driver service.
Double-click on it to bring up its Propeties dialog.
Change its StartupType to Disabled. Also please note-down the string in the Service Name field and tell me in your next post.
Reboot PC normally.
Re-install the Raxio product.

oldtrekky

oldtrekky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Since the Roxio product (Photosuite 5) had been on the machine for over a year, I didn't think that it was the root of the problem, especially since there were a number of more mysterious system-level services that couldn't be loaded (Processor, for example).

Since I couldn't delete the Roxio product and needed the system ASAP for work, I decided I couldnt' wait for a reply (and had to give my wifes machine back to her) to go the install/repair route, using my XPSP2 CD. The repair took 1/2 hour and fixed the problem. I then was able to delete the old Roxio product, just to be on the safe side.

I think we can close this problem. Thanks for your suggestions and the time you spent thinking about it. I was hoping not to have to do the repair, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and it did get me up and running very quickly. MS does get some things quite right. Sorry I coudn't wait to try your latest suggestion.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
thank you for the update....