Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Intermittent Amptron motherboard

• Please log in to reply

claux2840

claux2840

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I'm completely puzzled as to why this doesnt work...I have an Amptron motherboard, it's a K7-810 series from around 1999. Half the time it powers up and just sits there with the CPU fan going and sometimes it beeps and starts up. When it does start up, it freezes around 10 seconds after bootup. It has an AMIBIOS and this is what the POST screen says:

American AMIBIOS © 2000 American Megatrends Inc.,
Megatrends

Release 09/14/2001 S

AMD Athlon™ Processor-1400MHz
Checking NVRAM..
262144KB OK (64MB Shared Memory Size Used)

WAIT...

CMOS/GPNV Checksum Bad

Press F1 to run SETUP
Press F2 to load default values and continue_

©American Megatrends Inc.,
62-0914-001437-00101111-071595-SiS730S-M810LR-H

I measured the CMOS battery with a voltmeter and it's fine. One more thing I noticed was that it took a lot of power cycling on and off for it to start from a cold start, but after I had it going it tended to beep and boot up more often. :tazz:

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Hmmm I googled that error and there is a ton of info, you may want to do the same.

I would start by clearing the cmos and then loading the bios defaults.
If the problem persists try and run memtest86 from a bootable floppy. I realize its not completeing post but you mentioned sometimes it does so if you could get it to complete post and run memtest it could tell us if the ram is bad.

Rick

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I cleared the CMOS, downloaded MEMTEST-86, wrote it to a floppy, and booted it. The test runs until the second test, where it stops and gives me a screen of garbage characters.

EDIT: Attached is a picture of the screen where it gives me garbage chars
ANOTHER EDIT: This test is with a 64M Memory Module, I have a 256 I'm going to try and post back results
THE FINAL EDIT: With the 256MB module it gets further into the test and this time the garbage is recognizable-something about an unexpected interrupt then it lists all the registers of the processor(ax, bx, cx, si, etc) ???

Attached Thumbnails

• P1010104.JPG

Edited by claux2840, 22 September 2005 - 05:44 PM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Well your getting a ton of errors with memtest that tells me the ram is bad causing the problem witch I suspected from the beginning but find it strange that you have two bad sticks.

I tried to find a manual for your board but I need the exact model it should be somewere hereFrom bios could you list your voltages if they are avliable. I want to look at the voltages because sometimes memtest will fail if the ram is not getting the proper voltage supplied to it. I would like to rule out the possibility of a bad/weak psu before we say the ram is bad.

If you can't get the voltages in bios we could check the psu (power supply) with a volte meter.

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
oops sorry the link I gave you is amptrons website but I think its actually a ECS board so try here to see if anything makes sense.

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Here's a recap on the whole situation since it's changed:
64MB-bad
256MB-bad on 100MHz speed-OK on 133MHZ speed--isnt that odd?
The motherboard is a Amptron (or ecs?) K7-810CLM
And here's a link to the manual: http://web.archive.o...tml/manual.html

Edited by claux2840, 23 September 2005 - 08:40 AM.

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
VOLTAGES: (from BIOS Setup)

Vcore=1.824-1.876V
Vcc 2.5V=2.560V
Vcc 3.3V=3.328V
Vcc 5.0V=4.945V-5.510V
+12=12.928
-12=13.512
SB3V=3.840V
SB5V=5.107V
Battery-3.600V (I dont have a battery in the socket. lol)
Is it normal for voltages to flunctuate? Vcore varies from 1.824 to 1.876

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
New: The speaker is now making a low-pitched buzz, interrupted by a series of low frequency beeps when the Amptron logo comes on the screen.

ps. this only happens sometimes

Edited by claux2840, 23 September 2005 - 10:25 AM.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
Paricularly seeing the time period of that board... have you checked the capacitors on the motherboard? They are the components that look like little cans. Look to see if any of them are bulging, leaking or have the plastic outer covering melted.... boards in that time period had a lot of problems of this nature.

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The caps are a bit bulged...specifically the ones by the voltage regulators and torroid coils

Edited by claux2840, 23 September 2005 - 10:28 AM.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Looks like a bad mobo that explains the "garbage characters" in memtest, if the capacitors are bulged it a sure sighn the mobo has failed.

Good catch shard92

Rick

claux2840

claux2840

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks now i know its my fault...i moved a jumper i shouldnt have and it bulged them