fyi--The number I called is the same one displayed by windows when the number doesn't match or there is a problem with the authentication server.
Did you put those numbers in the box? The code they give you is quite lengthy, but if you follow the instructions it will work. What I get is that it gave you a code, and then told you to return it?
You may want to contact the reseller and relate this and have them send you a new cd
ok, here is what i did just a couple seconds ago.
-called the phone number 716 871 2929
- an automated machine answered the phone and asked me what i wanted to register windows xp
- i said yes, it asked if i had the screen open to register on my computer
- i said yes then the machine said to read of the Istalation ID wich was a really long number broken into 9 parts with about 6 numbers in each part, that was on my computer screen.
- i read the entire thing in sections
- once i finished the automated machine on the other side of the phone took about 1 minute and said that my Instalation ID was invalid, and it was not a valid product, to either reinstall or return the product.
- and then diconnected me from the phone