Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crazy messed up audio drivers

• Please log in to reply

traybonne

traybonne

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi there, i feel like i don't know much about my topic so i'll try to be as clear as possible in the hopes that one of you will know what i mean and be able to point me in the right direction. i have spent the last 2 days reformatting my windows xp (due to it being corrupted and me not being able to afford to take it to my pc guy) and reinstalling updates programs etc. it took 2 times because the 1st time was not truly a reformat but i didn't know that until too late...
anyway, this time things appear to have gone well EXCEPT that i have no audio. legacy audio drivers are listed in the device manager as working properly, i have trouble shot this issue every way i can figure out. when i install a 'via audio driver ' from the disk that came with my motherboard i am warned it may not be compatible with my system, sure enough after install i get a window re:registry data being recovered by use of a log..etc and then a report about the error being caused by the device driver, sometimes i also get a system crash. thing is, it did restore the audio. i have a lot more specific info but am unsure if it's relevant so will wait for a reply. any advice for what to do next? i am about at the end of my rope. thanks in advance, tracey

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Your installation disk may have a drivers folder in it, explore and see if you can find the right drivers. You may have to uninstall any current drivers.

What make/model of computer/motherboard do you have? Have you tried going to the makers website?