Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Disc drives read slowly ?

• Please log in to reply

deanbo

deanbo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hi everyone my names Deanbo a newbie here.
My question and problem is both my Samsung DVD rom and my Asus CD-RW
read discs slowly and it has recently become worse.

I've found a page with good info on it for discs being read slowly.

http://sniptools.com...e-in-windows-xp

It's good but i need to change some registry settings as the first bit on the page instructs you.

I have never done this but i have run RegEdit and can see Masterd id Data Checksum
....................................................................................................And i can see Slave IdDataChecksum

I have googled and found the info and i have read it but i am very warey of doing
these things as i'm 90% there but don't quite understand how exactly to do this.

It says find the following key which i did and it mentions a list of 4 digit numbers,i found them too.
What i don't fully understand is where it says "Under each key delete all occurencies of the following values".

This means the master idData checksum and Slave Id DataChecksum which i've found OK.

So what do i do now ?I have discovered that this often happens when you've had a power failure
while your PC was on.It has happened 3 or 4 time in the last 6 months so i think that's what's caused
it.
It will happen again as we get a lot of power cuts and i'm not shelling out for a UPS[too dear]I am the sole carer of my disabled fiancee and on a very low income and cannot afford one.
so i will need to do this again if it's interrupted,hence i need a little help with the last bit as i've
done 90% of the work and just need some help.It happens quite often apparently,often enough
so it's not just my PC i bet there are a few others in here that this has happened to as well.

Anyway will someone please explain in clear English EXACTLY what i have to do.

I have been told you may ask me for the info from Hijack this.I have A2hijackfree
is that OK ? If so then please tell me what to do as i'm in a few guitar forums
and can find my way around OK,but have no idea how to do a sceenshot of the log
for instance.

Please feel free to ask any questions, i'm not all that great on a PC so if you do
advise me of whatever action to take could you go slowly please.My PC specs are
in my profile but if you want more detailed info please ask as i want to get 1 gig
of ram very soon.As it's a dual channel mobo i want 2x512mb of DDR 2700 but
i have been told i could use 3200 instead as it's not only faster but 2700 is harder
to find as 2 sticks of 512mb and 3200 is the same price or very close.I live in
England and it is in short supply locally and i can't buy on the net[no cards].

I was told that using 2 sticks of ram with 256mb on each side of the ram module
to give 512 is 2x256x2 is the best arrangement of ram for me but i can't find any
ram like that anywhere.

Sorry to bombard you all but you come highly recommended,so i thought i'd dive
right in.Thanks to everyone and hello too :tazz: :)

Advertisements

deanbo

deanbo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
It's OK I have fixed it myself but i still want 1 gig of ram for my dual channel motheboard,so i'll ask that as a new topic.