Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Windows will come up on my Computer - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I went into the file and clicked SETUP.INI, it said "Warning you are about to change your internet settings. If you wish to continue click yes, so I clicked Yes. Then I clicked on Setup.exe, I went through the whole setup thing, then it asked if i wanted to restart my computer, so I did. When I restarted it, it said : "Setup Complete and Setup the HDInfo" I clicked ok. Then checked the ddevice manager. Is that right?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, you did fine...Let me research a bit more...This might take me a little while...

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

I haven't forgotten about you...just haven't found much yet. The drivers you downloaded were the latest for your chipset.

While you're waiting, try the Windows Update site and see if their scan can find some hardware or software updates for your system.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi
Ok. What is the address for the windows update site? Thanks!! :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click the Start button and click "Windows Update" (should be at or near the top of the menu)

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
The problem with my computer does not allow some webpages to show up, or certain items to show up. Therefore, I cannot see the Windows Update website - home page. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith

Let's look to see if java is enabled on your machine. Open Internet Explorer, click on "Tools" in the toolbar and click on "Internet Options". Under the "Advanced" tab, scroll down to "Java (Sun)" and make sure there is a check in the box next to "Use JRE 1.0....) also check to see there are checks in the first and third boxes under "microsoft VM" Apply the settings (if you made any) and click "Ok"...You may have to Reboot.

Try the Windows Update again...if no joy: Go HERE and download one of the top two choices and install it.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
My java is enabled. The Microsoft Update still isn't workin. I downloaded the Java from the links you provided and it said it was already enabled, that i would have to uninstall java if i wanted to add the java on that link (but since its already installed, i didn't). :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

I just reviewed your whole trip through the Malware Forum...what a mess, huh???

Let's try a couple of things before we go much further. First, Click "Start" and choose "Shut Down" then choose "Restart in MS_DOS Mode" and click "Ok".

At the command prompt (C:\Windows>), type scanreg /fix (Note the space before /fix ... the command should be C:\WINDOWS>scanreg /fix) and press "Enter". When the scan completes press "Enter" to exit the registry scan and then press "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" to restart.

Let me know how this goes...

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi, yes, it was a nasty MESS! :tazz:

Alright. I did that and it said: REPAIRING C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.DAT

It scanned to 100 % and then said WINDOWS SUCCESSFULLY FIXED YOUR REGISTRY

Windows Update still isn't working, but that is what it did. Hope that helps. :)

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
See if you can download This? if you can, install it and try running Update again.

Now might be a good time to create a startup disk. Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Startup Disk tab...Create Disk. You'll need a fresh floppy disk for this.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
Ok, I did that and windows update website is still not working. I don't have any blank floppy, but I will go and get some tommorrow after I get off work at 1pm. If you want to post further instructions, for what I should do after I get the floppy disks, that would be cool. I am leaving tommorrow (Friday) night and will not be back home until Monday morning, so once I get home from work tommorrow, and have the floppy's, I will do the next steps provided.
THANKS

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi timlovesfaith

Click "Start" and point to "Settings" and choose "Control Panel". Double click "Add/Remove Programs" and click the "Startup" tab. Put a fresh floppy in the drive and click "Create Disk". This will make a Startup Disk for your system. Exit Control Panel. Label this disk Win98 Startup and set it aside for now.

You will need your installation cd for this...Run System File Checker by clicking "Start", pointing to "Programs", pointing to "Accessories", pointing to "System Tools", and then clicking "System Information". In System Information, click "Tools", and then click "System File Checker". Let it scan for altered files and copy any it needs from the installation cd. When this is finished, reboot.

Any changes to your machine?

You might also read up on This Procedure...should the need arise.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 29 September 2005 - 11:30 PM.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
I read through your directions, one question: My D: drive does not work. I cannot get it to load any program. Therefore, How should I do the Windows 98 installation cd you said to load? Or is there anyway to get it back so I can?
Thanks Tons!

Edited by timlovesfaith, 30 September 2005 - 12:37 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
And then there's that...

Try this...put that startup disk you're going to create into the floppy drive and reboot. When you get to the options screen, choose the option to "Start with cd-rom support". See if the floppy will install a set of drivers for the cd-rom drive.

If that works, try running the System File Checker while the disk is still in the drive.

Let me know how it goes.

wannabe1