Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Windows will come up on my Computer - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok,
I got the blank disk. I inserted the disk and when I click on "create disk" it says "Please insert the disk labeled 'Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM', and then click ok.
Then when I hit ok, it says "The file 'command.com' on Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM cannot be found. Insert Windows 98 Second Edition CD-ROM in the selected drive and hit ok.
Then it says Copy Files From: D:\WIN98 ; the choices are OK Cancel Skip File or Details. :tazz:

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That cd issue is sure getting in the way...huh?

Go HERE and download the Win98SE OEM bootdisk to your desktop (machine you are on now)...put a disk in the floppy drive and double click the file you downloaded...this will create a startup disk for the bad machine.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am so sorry there are so many problems. :tazz:

Ok. I downloaded that, clicked on it, inserted the disk, then the bar goes across all the way, then says "Insert Disk To Write" I hit ok, caue the floppy is already in, then it says

"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0028: C0056006 in VXD V86MMGR(01) + 0000006a. The current application will be terminated."

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There's a couple of things to check here. Make sure the floppy is formatted...Don't put the disk in the drive until prompted. (I just downloaded and created a startup disk this way...it worked perfectly)

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok.
I formatted the disk and everytime i try to create a startup disk, the blue error screen pops up or my screen freezes :tazz: I don't know what to do?

Edited by timlovesfaith, 04 October 2005 - 11:42 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello again timlovesfaith...

Are there any numbers associated with the error. The more information we have on the error the better.

What method did you use to format the drive?

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
The first error is:

"A fatal exception 0D has occurred at 0028: C0056006 in VXD V86MMGR(01) + 0000006a. The current application will be terminated."

Then, when I double click, it goes back to the desktop and then the blue screen comes back and says this error:

"A fatal exception OE has occurred at 017F:BFF9DFFF. The current application will be terminated."

Then when I double click, it goes to a black background with a white box that pops up and says:

"Kernal32 caused a general protection fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 0001:000075a2."

Then I hit close and I had to CTRL - ALT - DELETE - restart my computer. :tazz:

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok.

Thanks! I now have a boot up disk :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok timlovesfaith...

Put your newly created startup disk in the floppy drive and start your machine. At the options screen, choose Start Windows without cd-rom support and see if it starts. When you get to the desktop, put the Windows installations cd in the drive and try the following:

You will need your installation cd for this...Run System File Checker by clicking "Start", pointing to "Programs", pointing to "Accessories", pointing to "System Tools", and then clicking "System Information". In System Information, click "Tools", and then click "System File Checker". Let it scan for altered files and copy any it needs from the installation cd. When this is finished, reboot.

Note...if the cd-rom drive still doesn't work, try the option to "Start with cd-rom support)

Any changes to your machine?

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

Got a little ahead of myself...you're going to end up at an A:\ prompt...type scandisk and press "Enter".

When the scan completes, take the floppy and cd out and reboot.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 05 October 2005 - 10:16 PM.

Advertisements

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
alright. I am a little confused how I can get the prompt up for the options ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The way it's supposed to work, put the floppy disk you made into the floppy drive and restart (or start) the machine...you should get a screen with 3 options on it. Instead of choosing one of the options, press F5 for Safe Mode. This will load a set of drivers (including cd-rom drivers) so that we can run the system file checker to replace any missing system files.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I have restarted and the disk is in and I am not getting the three options? it just keeps starting like normal?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try the sfc...

Put the cd in the drive and click "Start", pointing to "Programs", pointing to "Accessories", pointing to "System Tools", and then clicking "System Information". In System Information, click "Tools", and then click "System File Checker". Let it scan for altered files and copy any it needs from the installation cd. When this is finished, reboot.

:tazz: Hoping the drivers for the cd-rom are there......

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hi,
Ok. I did the system file checker and I was never asked to install anything from WIN98 cd.

Here are the details from my scan:

Folders Examined: 261
Files Examined: 1888

Files added to verification data file: 16
Files removed from verification data file: 58
Files updated in verification data file: 9

Files Restored: 0
File Changes Ignored: 0