Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Windows will come up on my Computer - HELP!

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Did your cd-rom drive detect the disk and seem to run?

Advertisements

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
no, I don't think so. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you were using the startup disk, what screen came up? Maybe we missed something in the startup disk. Put the floppy in the drive and right click My Computer and choose Explore...then right click the floppy drive and choose Explore. You should have these files on the startup.

ASPI2DOS.SYS, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPICD.SYS, BTDOSM.SYS, FLASHPT.SYS, OAKCDROM.SYS, ASPI4DOS.SYS, ASPI8U2.SYS, BTCDROM.SYS, HIMEM.SYS, RAMDRIVE.SYS, EBD.CAB, DRVSPACE.BIN, SETRAMD.BAT, FDISK.EXE, EXTRACT.EXE, FINDRAMD.EXE, and README.TXT

Do we need to add a file to your bootdisk?

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
They are all there. The computer just booted up as if the disk was not even in the floppy drive, just like normal? I am not sure if I am not hitting the right thing or going about it the right way or not. I put the floppy in the drive and then restarted the computer and it just booted up like normal. There were no options or anything? :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's check your BIOS settings. Press either F1 or Delete while booting (it should tell you which one to press at hte bottome of the first screen. "Press ?? to enter Setup".

We need to make sure the Floppy is set as first boot device and the cd-rom is second, then the HDD. On the main page of settings, check to make sure your cd-rom is being detected.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok.
I checked my bio settings and my:

1st Boot Device : IDE-0
2nd Boot Device: Floppy
3rd Boot Device : CdRom

So, That may be the reason why there is no options? maybe? not sure?

If you can show me how to change this, I will change it so Floppy is 1 and cd rom is 2.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Select the first boot device using the arrow keys then change it to the floppy using the + or - keys. Set the second to CdRom the same way. Third device should the the HDD (IDE-0)

Save your settings (usually F10) and exit BIOS. Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to reboot with the floppy in the drive.

At the options screen, press F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type scandisk and press "Enter".
When the scan completes, reboot again and choose the first option...to start with cd-rom support.

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
ok, after i reset my bio settings, I restarted and a screen came up and at the bottom it said: "Searching for boot record from floppy"

I left the screen on all night waiting for the options, but as you can probably guess, they never showed up. :tazz: I pressed F5 but nothing happened, so I had to set my bio settings back to get my computer to start up without the "Searching for boot record from Floppy" stalling it. :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith....

Let's try making another startup disk with your machine...Click "Start" and point to "Settings" and choose "Control Panel". Double click "Add/Remove Programs" and click the "Startup" tab. Put a fresh floppy in the drive and click "Create Disk". This will make a Startup Disk for your system.

Change your BIOS again so that the floppy is the first boot device and the cd-rom is second, put the startup disk in the floppy drive and reboot.

Let me know if you get to the options screen....

Also, would you please post me a HiJackThis log.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 12:47 PM.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
When I click on create disk, it says "insert the disk labeled Windows 86 Second Edition CD Rom, then click ok"

Hijack this:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 1:54:57 PM, on 10/6/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\ptsnoop.exe
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\REAL\UPDATE_OB\REALSCHED.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KHOOKER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\VIEWPOINT\VIEWPOINT MANAGER\VIEWMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGCC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGEMC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\GRISOFT\AVG FREE\AVGAMSVR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINMX\WINMX.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HEWLETT-PACKARD\DIGITAL IMAGING\BIN\HPOHMR08.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\YAHOO!\MESSENGER\YMSGR_TRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\HIJACKTHIS\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.yahoo.com/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Window Title = Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Mediacom Online
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: IEWatchObj Class - {9527D42F-D666-11D3-B8DD-00600838CD5F} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\IETie.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll (file missing)
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll (file missing)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CountrySelection] pctptt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PTSNOOP] ptsnoop.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\QTTASK.EXE" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SiS KHooker] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\khooker.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WorksFUD] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkfud.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Portfolio] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WksSb.exe /AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATTRedUpate] C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MEDIACOM\MIGCFG\PROGRAMS\AutoUpdate.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ViewMgr] C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Viewpoint Manager\ViewMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGCC.EXE /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGEMC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_AMSVR] C:\PROGRA~1\GRISOFT\AVGFRE~1\AVGAMSVR.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Yahoo! Pager] C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WinMX] C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINMX\WINMX.EXE -m
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpySweeper] C:\Program Files\Webroot\Spy Sweeper\SpySweeper.exe /0
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Weather] C:\PROGRAM FILES\AWS\WEATHERBUG\WEATHER.EXE 1
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - Startup: hp psc 1000 series.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpohmr08.exe
O4 - Startup: hp instant support.lnk = C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\hpis\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Picture It! PhotoPub\IE95boot.exe
O4 - Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://C:\PROGRAM FILES\GOOGLE\GOOGLETOOLBAR2.DLL/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSJAVA.DLL
O9 - Extra button: WeatherBug - {AF6CABAB-61F9-4f12-A198-B7D41EF1CB52} - C:\PROGRA~1\AWS\WEATHE~1\Weather.exe (HKCU)
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .mpg: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\npqtplugin3.dll
O16 - DPF: {0246ECA8-996F-11D1-BE2F-00A0C9037DFE} (TDServer Control) - http://www.bitstream...er/tdserver.cab
O16 - DPF: {41F17733-B041-4099-A042-B518BB6A408C} - http://a1540.g.akama...meInstaller.exe
O16 - DPF: {427273CC-764E-11D3-823D-006097F90453} (Pixami Image Editor Control) - http://www.imagestat...ImageEditor.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai...all/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {FA3662C3-B8E8-11D6-A667-0010B556D978} (IWinAmpActiveX Class) - http://cdn.digitalci...illama/ampx.cab
O16 - DPF: {E9348280-2D74-4933-BE25-73D946926795} (DeviceEnum Class) - http://h20270.www2.h...cdetection3.cab
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99f7-4bb4-88d8-fa1d4f56a2ab} (YInstStarter Class) - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Common\yinsthelper.dll

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

Please uninstall the Google toolbar...you can reinstall it later if you are really attached to it.

Disable or uninstall the AVG antivirus program. If you uninstall it, please download Avast, install it and update it.

I don't see it in your log, but if you have Yahoo Companion toolbar, please uninstall that as well.

Once the google toolbar (and yahoo toolbar, if present) are uninstalled, try the Windows Update again. If you are able to access the site, download and install all available updates via Express Install. Then do it again using the Custom Install option and download any hardware updates that are available.

Let me know how it goes...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 06 October 2005 - 01:16 PM.

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
I am doing better now, Thanks!

I tried uninstalling the google toolbar and it will not uninstall. It just refreshes the add/remove programs and it is still there.
I disabled AVG and I have no yahoo companion.
The windows update site is not coming up. The site is there, just nothing viewing.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello timlovesfaith...

Disable the Google pop-up/ad blocker (and any other pop-up stoppers you might have installed) function and try to update again.(Is it just me, or am I starting to sound like a broken record... :tazz:)

wannabe1

timlovesfaith

timlovesfaith

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
No change :tazz:

So Sorry, my computer is so screwy! :)

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
timlovesfaith...

Click Start then Run, type regsvr32 /s urlmon.dll (Note the spaces) and click "Ok"...Try the update again......

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 13 October 2005 - 09:17 PM.