Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC Speed issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

purpleproject

purpleproject

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey guys,

I'm at my wits end with my PC and am about to get a dualcore Athlon but in the mean time I just want to find out whats up with my PC. Hardware specs -

AMD Athlon Xp +
Soyo Dragon 333 Ultra Platinum mobo
2 x 512 DDR RAM
Nvidia Quadro 750 XGL
2 x 80 Gb Maxtor drives

MY PC used to run at the normal 1.68 GIG before I knew much about overclocking etc but I have always had issues with the PC locking up - several bad instances a month so I have constantly been re-installing Windows in the 2 years I have had the machine. It got really bad recently so my mate looked at it and we applied some more thermal paste and flashed the bios with the latest software for the board.
Since then, I can only run setting the FSB to 100 resulting in about 1.2 Gig CPU speed. I can increase this incrementally to 110 FSB so the clock speed is 1.3 GIG but any more than this and it switches off halfway through booting. If I set it to 133 which should give me my basic clock speed it wont boot and I have to clear the CMOS. Its really annoying as I do a lot of 3D and graphics work and Photshop and Maya anf runnning soooooooo slow at 1.2 Gig

I've tried lowering the the clock Ratio to 7x and the increasing the FSB but nothing makes any difference...
Its almost as if the board isnt compatible with the CPU?
Has anyone got any suggestions? Its driving me crazy - as I said I have had issues with this PC for the last two years off and on..

AS I said I'm gonna upgrade soon anyway but I would like to use this machine as part of a renderfarm so getting it running nice is still important...

Cheers!

Advertisements