Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow computer [referred]

• Please log in to reply

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
That notice is fine, it's just because we're using selective startup - nothing to worry about. :tazz:

Go to Start > Run msconfig
Click the Services tab and uncheck both AVG services (and leave Ewido unchecked too)
Reboot and see if there is any change. Do not connect to the Internet while AVG is unchecked.

See if it helps the speed any. Then go ahead and go back into msconfig. Click the services tab and re-check both Ewido and AVG. Let me know how it goes, please. :)

Advertisements

sharpey

sharpey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No still no better.

At the moment the laptop isn't connected to the internet. I am using my PC to talk to you.

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
Ok good :)

Go into msconfig and click the startup tab, I want you to UNcheck everything on the startup tab click apply click ok. Reboot the computer. We will re-enable one a time to see which is the culprit.

I surely hope it runs faster after unchecking everything under the startup tab :tazz:

sharpey

sharpey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Michelle

Not really

From reboot
to start up screen 1 min
to Wecome screen 1 min 10
to desktop 1 min 55
to usable 2 mins

Cheers

Wayne

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You unchecked everything under the startup tab and it did not improve any? :tazz:

Ok...go into msconfig, click the General tab. Click "Selective Startup" and UNcheck System.ini but leave the others checked. Reboot your computer and let me know :)

sharpey

sharpey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no change in speed!

Just to confirm;

Selective Startup Round dot Checked
Process SYSTEM.INI File uncheched
Process WIN.INI File Checked
Load System Services Checked
Load Start up Items, this was unchecked and I left it unchecked??
Use original BOOT.INI round dot checked.

Cheers

Wayne

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts
You can go ahead and go into msconfig and select normal startup now. I'm going to have to move this topic over to the XP forum. It's not a malware issue and I have no clue why there was no improvement in the speed of the system.

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
That's odd that removing everything from startup didn't help.
Try running CHKDSK (right-click hard drive/partition in My Computer, then click Properties and go to the Hardware tab and click Scan now... You will probably have to schedule it for the next time you restart), then defragment your hard drive (same place as CHKDSK, except you have to click the Defragment Now... button).

There are some tweaks here you could try too.

sharpey

sharpey

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I have carried out both CHKDSK and Defragment but there is still no change in the speed.

Should I try XP Repair?

I don't know what the problem is related to so I don't know what tweaks to try.
Can you advise?

Cheers

Wayne

Pi rules

Pi rules

• PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
I wouldn't try the repair. I don't think it would help, but you could try it if you really want to. If you do, you would need to get all the updates again as well.

The tweaks are just general tips for changing certain aspects of Windows.
Try these:
Tweak 2
Tweak 31

Edited by Pi rules, 10 October 2005 - 03:59 PM.

Advertisements