Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fail safe mode

• Please log in to reply

davew9999

davew9999

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Everytime I load my PC the BIOS says that its loading in "Fail safe mode". I entered CMOS and loaded the optimized defaults to try and fix this problem but it does it at each boot up!

Anyone got any ideas?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
After the changes, do you press F10 to save and exit then type Y to confirm then press enter

Does it load to the desktop

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Yep I save the changes... When it comes up saying that it is loading in "fail safe mode" I just click F1 to continue and the pc seems to act as normal apart from that when I shut the pc down it turns itself back on again which seems a little strange! I have to hold the power button down to turn it off or it wont turn off!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it also has the option to press F2 then go with that then move through the BIOS screens without making changes, then press enter, if it asks to exit without saving press OK then enter

Is the system overclocked

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
When I get the "fail safe mode" part of the BIOS I have 2 options: F1 to continue or DEL for setup. I have tried going in setup and loading the optimized values but it didn't work.

The processor isn't overclocked either...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you checked if there is an available BIOS update

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
Ah good idea mate... i'll install the BIOS update program now and have a look. If there are no updates or it still doesn't work i'll post again but thanks for your help so far!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Usually it will say you have the latest version do you still want to update, you may as well press Yes as something is out of sorts

davew9999

davew9999

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
There were updates available so i've just updated and all seems fine now! my pc even restarts now without taking 5 mins! thanks very much keith!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for letting me know