Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Insurance claim

• Please log in to reply

patty_e

patty_e

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi
I didn't know if this is the right place to post this but I thought I'd start here.As part of an insurance claim (because the tower of my pc got damaged),the supplier working for my insurance company took away the old tower (a Dell Dimension XPS 450) for examination. A few days later the company rang me to offer a replacement tower - a Dell 5100 details of which they provided (shown below):

Dell Dimension 5100 PC
Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
512Mb Memory
40Gb Hard Drive
Floppy Disk Drive
Combo (Plays DVD Roms or Re-Writes CD Roms)
128Mb ATI Radeon Graphics
Sound Blaster Live 24 Bit Sound
56K Modem
Windows XP Home Operating System

The Zip Drive will be an external device as Dell no longer offer this.

Although to me this seems like a reasonable offer, not being technically minded I am worried that Windows XP may not be compatible with my existing hardware and software.
(My old pc used Windows 98 SE and many of my files were based on MS Works Suite 99.I also have a HP Officejet 700 series printer, as well as the monitor, keyboard, mouse & speakers (plus subwoofer) etc. which I will need to continue using).

Also I’m not sure if I need to ask the company to uninstall all the old software – printer software, games, etc. (that was loaded on the old hard drive) so that I may continue to use them under their existing licences.

Any advice would be really appreciated.Thank you.

Patty

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

HP Officejet 700 series printer, as well as the monitor, keyboard, mouse & speakers (plus subwoofer) etc. which I will need to continue using).

View Post

No problems there...there is a windows xp driver for that printer
http://h10025.www1.h...ct=58709&os=228

The hardware should also work assuming those are all ps2 or usb peripherals or normal speakers (and they would have to be really old)

I cannot speak for Works 99--it is not on the list I looked at so it should be good, but Office 97 does not work with sp2 and it was not on the list either

An interesting legal point on the Licensing....the only real question here would be the Works Suite--was it an OEM or retail license?

Legally, an OEM install travels with the machine..a retail travels with the owner. So, if they fail to remove it, the are in violation, not you. The bigger question is what was the damage? Is it even a viable machine you need to even worry about it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The printer will work with XP

Works suite usually needs more ram for XP than 98 to run but 512 covers it

Contact Dell and say you have been given a number of options in respect of an insurance claim for a damaged PC tower, one of which is to have the damaged tower replaced with a Dell PC, then ask about the monitor you have and whatever else you need to know as they will definitely want you to choose a Dell

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey,

thanks for posting.

well i am looking at a 40g hard drive is that enough for you?

and also yes all your software should be compatiable.
dont worry about the speakers,keyboard,mouse,screen, usually that stuff is okay. Also the printer model i am checking upon but take my word it should be okay.
Do you still have the disks for the printer?

You can buy ms works for xp
check this link out..
http://www.microsoft...ks/default.mspx

that should do it
if you have anymore questions feel free to ask

ankush

patty_e

patty_e

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi again
A big' thank you' all for your advice and information.It's reassuring to know all will be ok, particulary the existing hardware (Gerry thanks again for the website details re:the driver; Keith - I' ll contact Dell as advised; Ankusk - I do have the disks for the printer so will be ok).

Patty

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

You might want to explain to the insurance company that a lot of the programmes you have will function better with the new tower if they are updated, although upgrading to the latest versions is not essential, as you are getting a new tower, you most likely qualify to purchase the Original Equipment Manufacture (OEM) versions from Dell

This will be the cheapest option if you want to upgrade anything now, Dell will obviously want to sell as much as possible with the tower, and the insurance company will probably not have any objection to you paying seperately for the software, as it will improve the replacement

As I have said upgrading is not essential but the opportunity is there

patty_e

patty_e

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Keith
Thanks for this. As I asked them about it,the insurance company e-mailed me today saying they were prepared to listen to a deal regarding software upgrades.I rang them & asked if they would buy (on my behalf),MS Office 2003 Business Edition (Dell is offering this at £188). A woman from the company said no problem but said it would not be sourced from Dell. I have taken up the offer because it would still be cheaper than purchaing it from Microsoft. As to MS Works, she said I couldn't have it (as I was buying Office) ??!! I enquired about the all my existing software, and she said it will be usable with the new hard drive.I just wanted to settle,and so paid the £50 excess as well - I feel I've done enough shopping for the day!! Enjoy the weekend.

Patty

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for posting the update

ankush patel

ankush patel

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanks, you should be fine then!