Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard one for you

• Please log in to reply

wossie

wossie

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
The best i can describe is this,
I tried to uninstall a program and regfreeze went weird,my pc shut down,i restarted it but i cant open any programes from either desktop or c programes all my programs have the icon that looks like a bin and cue file.Everytime i try to open a program i get WINDOWS CANT OPEN THIS,try a program from list or choose internet.I cant boot using xp disc as i have not got the option in bios,i cant reformat as my main frive is knackerd and my second drive (new) wont pick the disc up.I STILL HAVE EXPLORER ICON ,THATS HOW I CAN STILL CONNECT TO THE NET,BUT CANT DO ANY THING ELSE,i CANT RESTORE IVE TRIED,start run regedit comes up the same, window cant open this file.

So im a bit stuck

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you boot the PC and enter set up, on the screen where the boot order is shown, can you use the down arrow to highlight the first boot device then press page up until it shows CD ROM Drive then press F10 to save and exit then type Y to confirm

OR

Can you boot the PC and keep tapping the F8 key until you get options, choose safe mode with command prompt teh type sfc /scannonce then confirm and reboot

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
is regfreeze the name of the program?

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
reg freeze is the name of the program

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
its always worrisome when the company that makes a piece of software no longer has a functioning website...I cannot download the program and take a look so I am not sure what principal it uses to function....My guess, alters permissions on the regsitry?

Or did it alter the registry in some way?

Try this

http://www.dougknox..../file_assoc.htm

Download the fix for EXE files and double click it...if it allows you to, say yes to merge

wossie

wossie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Thankyou gerryf i installed every fix there was and it has worked.Any advice on what to do next,ie with fixes not needed etc.

Edited by wossie, 22 September 2005 - 03:07 PM.