Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

just wondering

• Please log in to reply

Daija

Daija

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
first off i have windows xp pro and I was thinking of changing the theme of the desktop. I found a site but dont know if its a good one or if adding a theme is a good idea? what do you think about downloading a theme? heres a link to the one site i was looking at.

http://www.wincustom...txt=windows&u=0

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Personally I have only added one theme and that's an official MS one which doesn't need a third-party utility to apply it -- you just select from the usual place in Control Panel. I prefer not to install theme utilities or desktop replacements, Windows is trying enough as it is without adding another layer of possible conflict. I'm quite happy just to change the wallpaper every few weeks from one of the many free wallpaper sites -- or even use a pic of your own. Changing wallpaper isn't going to do any harm at all --- doesn't need any extra software.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing wrong with adding themes but be careful as some third party themes package malware with them

Daija

Daija

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Ya I think I may reconcider , I just got done with Tampabelle in the malware section, dont need anymore of that..... thx for you opinions.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i actually had that particular software listed on that site.....had to format the machine to get rid of it...