Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply

wllm55

wllm55

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
I'm getting set to do a reinstall of Windows XP. I have a Dell OEM XP disk with SP1, and the two disk from MS for SP2. From what I have read, this means that I would not likely be able to slipstream from my original Dell OEM disk. Question is; I have access to borrow a dell XP OEM disk with SP2,( I have a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop, this disk is for a Dell Dimension desktop) I have my own key registration #. Would I be best off to borrow this disk instead of installing my Dell OEM disk with XP, SP1 then the 2 SP2 disk?" I intend on following the guidelines according to "The Tweaking Guide" by Koush Ghazi. Also, any other adivice would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Newt :tazz: :) :)

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i would just suggest that you use your oem cd, as they are tied to to the machine not the llicense key as far as useage...and then just install the sp2...it will take a little while longer but...it's just as easy

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the quick comeback. I was thinking that there might be some disputes over OEM disk for different machines, that's why I asked.
Thanks, Newt
:tazz:

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
While I have your attention, what are your best suggestions for backing up my current files. I have download "Backups" from the XP disk, but I have about 9 gigs of info and only a CDRW? What do I do, break the info down based on priorities? Newt

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
probably...unless you by chance have a spare hd lying around...

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you can slipstream an OEM disk.

This reinstall you are attempting/planning--any particular reason?

If you are looking for a fresh start, here is a suggestion.

First, you mentioned slipstreaming the CD, so I am guessing you are an advanced user

Make yourself a barts PE
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Then, rename your windows directory, documents and settings directory, and program files directory using it

I use
bakpf (some programs store data here)
bakwin (mainly for fonts, but some programs store data here)
bakDS (where most of your data should be)

erase everything else

Now reinstall windows without formatting or repartitioning, it will create new directories.

Now take possession of the directories and move everything into its new locations that you need.

Wait a couple of weeks, then wipe out bakwin, bakpf and bakDS if you no longer need them.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ps. I usually download all newest drivers and create a DRIVERS folder in the root, or if your feeling ambitious, create a drivers directory when you slipstream the windows CD.

The whole process allows you to do a clean install without backing up the gigs and gigs of data that you intend to just restore anyway

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
gerryf, I am reinstalling because, after a lot of reading and testing, I have found that reconfiguring things and tweaking really pays off. I have also found that there is SO MUCH superfluous junk on these machines when you get them from the manufacturer such as Quickens with three different versions. One for free, and two in the background that take up space with no benefit. Roxio is the same way as are several other programs. I also want to get rid of all the Norton garbage, RealPlayer garbage and all kinds of other "Fluff". Also, through all my reading, I see these people that have contracted viruses and all kinds of other infections that, if I am correct, can be easily rectified with backups and a reinstall. Therefore I am currently looking into purchasing a DVDRW for this unit ( also for archiving music and pictures) and learning to slipstream and reinstall.
I am going to have to check out your suggestions, thanks for the input. Newt

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
gerryf, as for your suggestions about the drivers; I have checked into updates for the drivers on this unit. It is a Dell Inspiron 5100, XP, SP1 updated to SP2, P4, 512 Ram, that I purchased two years ago. There were NO updates available, "you have the best available drivers". For a two year old machine I find this surprising, am I missing something. After two years I would think there would be some updates. (?)
Newt

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Well, I guess I lost you, I know I need to get off this machine and get some other things done too!
If anyone else has any suggestions I'd like to hear them. I had read that due to the number of updates that are added to an OEM XP disk at the time they are burned, they will not work when slipstreamed. I am going to try it anyways. I am going to use the "AutoStreamer" program and give it a go.
One other thing that I am looking for is a way to download all the Windows XP updates available at the time I reinstall, so that I can have them before I go online. I have seen them available at various sites such as "Black Viper" here at "G2G", "Bleeping Computers", etc. the point being, is that some of them list from 266mb of updates, to as little as 35mb of updates. What should I download and use?
Again, any information or insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Newt :tazz:

P.S. You also assumed that I am an "Advance User". I am doing my best to learn as much as I can so that I have control over this machine. I know enough to get myself into a lot of trouble, but I also know my limitations. That's why I ask so many questions! Thanks again, Newt :)
[bleep], it must be "beerthirty somewhere" :) :ph34r: :ph34r: :tazz: :)

Edited by wllm55, 22 September 2005 - 01:57 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I don't know where you were looking for drivers

http://support.dell....0&os=WW1&osl=EN

Is the driver download page

Re: OEM disks....that will depend on your definition of an OEM disk. A pure OEM disk or a modified OEM disk with simply be a Windows disk with additional drivers and apps loaded in the folder heirarchy, but the i386 folder remains intact.

Slipstreaming and OEM disk of this type simply updates the i386 folder

This is different than a re-installation disk or restore disk, which is quite often a disk image or an application that accesses a disk image on a hidden partition. That you cannot slipstream, but it is not really an OEM disk

So, if there is an i386 folder, you should be able to slipstream

To download all windows updates there are a couple of ways to go about it

You can go to windows update and under administrator options download any windows updates individually to your drive (for any version of Winodws) and build a disk and write a script to run the updates...time consuming pain in the butt.

Better answer, get a copy of autopatcherxp

http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=334257

Download this and it will install almost every update, plus lots of goodies (you select what to install) in one quick script process

wllm55

wllm55

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Okay, I got your message about "where are you looking for updates?". I was going to the device manager and clicking on individual devices and clicking on update driver. I am now looking at the Dell website for updates, Thanks! Of course, this now brings up the suggestion you made about downloading these driver updates and putting them into a root file and adding them to the "slipstream" disk. Could you please explain further or guide me to an explaination of this process. I am following the guide lines as per "autostreaming" and (upon your suggestion) "autopatching". My goal is to have ONE DISK that pretty much contains everything I need to gut this sucker and reinstall it. But with just a CDRW I foresee that I will exceed 700 or so megs, thus eliminating the limits of a CD. Am I correct in thinking that I need a DVD RW for backup and reinstalls? Regards, Newt