Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem Concerning WININET.dll

• Please log in to reply

mwm

mwm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I booted up my computer (i'm on my dads at the moment) and i get this message "explorer failed because missing component WININET.dll, reinstalling it may help fix this"

So i thought , ok, i can just download it off the internet, but the problem is i'm just getting a blank screen and i can't do anything

I even put the original windows XP cd in because i've read to do that, but it doesn't even attemp to install it, it just dies on me

any help would be gratly appreciated

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you boot into safe mode?

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
can you start the computer in safe mode? (press F8 repeatedly while booting up, and if possible choose to start the computer in safe mode). If you can, click Start > run. Type sfc /scannow and follow the instruction. You will need your xp disk.

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If can't boot into safe-mode; try replacing a copy from the Recovery Console.
Follow the steps below:
  • In your BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
  • Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
  • After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
  • On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
  • Now you will be prompted for the password of Administrator, enter it; If password is blank, just press <enter>.
  • Below are two ways to recover from this problem from the Recovery Console, use any one of them.
    Use Method1 only if u downloaded and installed SP2.
    Use Method2 if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.
  • Method1:
    Type the following commands:
    cd \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
    copy wininet.dll c:\Windows\System32
  • Method2:
    Type the following command:
    expand x:\i386\wininet.dl_ c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll.
    (where x: the drive-letter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)

mwm

mwm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i went into safe mode, and it still comes up with the same error and blank screen, from the alt-tab-delete menu i am able to start the windows CD, but it wont let me install it because it is SP1 and i have SP2, should i just follow this?

In your BIOS set CD-ROM has 1st Boot Device.
Insert XP Setup CD, to boot from CD.
After the intial loading of drivers is over, on the Welcome to Setup Screen with 3 options; Press R key, to "Repair XP installtion using Recovery Console".
On the next screen you will be asked to choose your Windows installtion, choose the one that is causing the problem by typing the number beside it.
Now you will be prompted for the password of Administrator, enter it; If password is blank, just press <enter>.

Below are two ways to recover from this problem from the Recovery Console, use any one of them.
Use Method1 only if u downloaded and installed SP2.
Use Method2 if u have installed SP2 from CD and u have the CD; or if u have'nt installed SP2 at all.
Method1:
Type the following commands:
cd \WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386
copy wininet.dll c:\Windows\System32.
Method2:
Type the following command:
expand x:\i386\wininet.dl_ c:\windows\system32\wininet.dll.
(where x: the drive-letter of ur CD-ROM drive and c: is the partition where XP was installed)

darth_ash

darth_ash

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,382 posts
If you can boot into safe-mode; you dont need to follow the full process.
Just follow Step 6 in cmd (Start -> Run. Type: cmd. Press <enter>.)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Even easier:
http://noahdfear.geekstogo.com/

The wininet file is system specific. Dave's tool locates the "good" one you already have.

Johanna

Edited by Czarina, 22 September 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Thank You so much! I also want this! But still I am goingto reintsall my XP!

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Cant you just reinstall XP?

OwNt

OwNt

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 7,457 posts
He could, but don't you think that would be just a tad overkill? Imho, it would be a lot easier fixing wininet.dll :tazz:

Game_Freak

Game_Freak

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 586 posts
Please explain here
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=65487

Thanks!