Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Asus P5P800 / Maxtor Hard-Drive

• Please log in to reply

mrtuft

mrtuft

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi There,

I have just installed a new motherboard (Asus P5P800) and the BIOS is picking up my Maxtor Hard-Drive, however everytime I re-boot my PC, I get the "Windows was shutdown abnormally" screen.

No matter which option I choose:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Command Prompt
Last Known Working Settings
Start Windows Normally

It just keeps coming back to that screen. As I said, the BIOS is picking everything up, but Windows just won't boot.

Any suggestions ?!?!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i could be wrong here...but...i know that some versions of windows (2000 especially) do not like being loaded on a hardware platform that is different than the one it was originally installed on..try booting form your xp cd and doing a repair install

when the cd asks if you want to install a new copy say yes then it should detect your current windows and give you the option to repair.

mrtuft

mrtuft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
That's what a friend of mine suggested.
Am using XP and have tried booting from the CD. It does all the loading of components bit, but am now just left with the blue screen with "Windows Setup" top left & "Setup Is Starting Windows" bottom left with nothing else happening. The light on the CD-ROM drive is just permanently on ?!

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Repair XP Tutorial

Murray

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Both Murray and dsenette are exactly right here, when ever switching mobos unless it is the exact same model you must do at least a repair install of the OS. I say at least a repair because sometimes even a repair install is buggy and forces you to do a complete format and reinsatall of the OS.

The problem you describe could be more then that though and I take it you need the info on that drive so I suggest you purchase a new drive to get the machine up and running. This way you don't risk losing you data and will start with a clean install of XP witch will eliminate that as a problem.

The alternative is to slave your drive in another computer and backup your data then format and reinstall.

Rick

mrtuft

mrtuft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks everyone for all of your help. Will attempt a repair/install !!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
let us know how everthing works out

mrtuft

mrtuft

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi There,

Decided to do a complete re-install in the end & everything (so far) hunky-dorey !! Top banana all round, so thanks everyone for your help !!

Cheers, Tuft

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Your welcome, I figuard that would fix it, you can't always trust the repair install, I had one in this week were the fellow installed a new board but could not get it runnin, I tried a repair install and no way but when I did a formatt everthing was all good.