Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant transfer music RESOLVED --THANKS.

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,
its been a while, but i knew it wouldnt be long before needing your advice again.
Right, here goes.,,,,
I have about 22 gig of music on my computer, mostly my own cds that i have burned onto the hdd, but a few gig of downloaded stuff.
Bought my wife an mp3 player, so she can use it whilst she is out running.
have connected the usb lead from the player to the comp, and thats all fine. The computer recognises the " new drive ", and all seemed ready to start transfering data. NO SUCH LUCK,,,, every time i try to transfer from my music files ( all wma i think), i get an error message, saying " cannot replace or move the file as its write protected ". " remove the write protection or use another disc "
Its got to be something stupid , i know, but its getting very frustrating .
Any advice would be much appreciated, and will help the wife and i to start talking again ( shes so tempermental !!!!!!!).
Many thanks,. kev.

Edited by rxkevco, 23 September 2005 - 07:48 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
did you install the software that came with the player?
are you just trying to drag and drop the file in explorer?
right click on one of the music files and make sure it's not set to read only

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. First of all , NO, i didnt install the software as a few people have said not to bother as xp will recognise the device anyway.
when i right click on the files propertys, the read only box IS ticked.
CHEERS, KEV.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
uncheck those read only things (i'm sure you're already to that step but just making sure)

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Do i have to go into each file i want to transfer, and uncheck the box, or is there a way to do them all at once. There are about 300 artists, each with 1 -- 10 subfolders ( albums ).
Apart from (hopefully ) letting me transfer data, will unchecking the box have any other effects ???
ps: i can transfer music data onto my external back up hdd ( do it each time i get a new cd ) without any problems !! why do you think this mp3 is causing such a fuss ??

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it may need to change some of the tags to work on the player (just a guess...not based on factual knowledge)

unfrotunately.....unless someone has a magical program to change the status on a group of files...you will probably have to click each one..there is a possibility that the software that came with the player will bypass this problem

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thankyou for that.
Will try and see what happens if i use the software.
Will post again with the results. !!

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Still no joy. I have installed the software, which includes a player. but even that wont play anything ( box checked or otherwise). says the same " write protected, remove the protection "?????
unchecking the read only box doesnt do anything either, same error comes up.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a question...check the stats for the player.....does it support wma? or just mp3?

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Poblem solved ,,,,, The player wont recognise anything you are trying to transfer whilst it is in standby mode, which it was ?? You have to go into the menu, to unlock standby, then it recognises the transfer data ???
All working as it should. many, many thanks.
cheers, kev.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah the magic of wird little hidden buttons...

can you do me a favor and edit the title in the first post in this thread to say [resolved]