Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin cutting off

• Please log in to reply

slack

slack

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I've been forum scanning and looking everywhere I could think of for an answer to this problem. I even mailed belkin and am still waiting for a response. I have a wireless-g belkin router that hooks 3 desktops up to the internet through a cable modem. None of the computers are connecting through wireless cards, and I have wireless access passworded. Routers confuse me and I'll admit that. I have no real experience with them and trying to solve a problem is hard work since I never dealt with one before. Now my problem is this... The WAN light on the router is flashing red... from what I read it's supposed to be solid green. The computers will use the internet fine, but will get some lag (which makes it difficult to play WoW). I'm running Aol instant messanger and the internet will freeze, and AIM will reconnect almost every 2-5 minutes. Also about every 15-30 minutes winxp will say that a network cable is unplugged, plugged in, unplugged, then plugged back in. I'm not really sure what else to explain in this post but I hope someone out there has heard of this problem before and can help. Thanks for your time reading this post.

Edited by slack, 22 September 2005 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

sly_gurly

sly_gurly

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey there! Anyway what's the model number of your belkin router? you may wanna try updating the firmware of the router but you may need to call tech supp as this would be considered as a serious action to do.. or you can reset the router by pressing the reset button for not more than 7 seconds, you can locate it on the back of the router but before you do this, may i know if u have a cable or a dsl connx for your internet service..

hope this helps!

slack

slack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply.
Model = F5D7231-4
Said no newer firmware
Connected through cable isp
And I've reset the modem many times because sometimes when it drops the line it doesnt assign my pc an ip

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Hello slack, and welcome to Geeks to Go, :tazz:

I need a little additional information to ascertain whether or not I will be able to assist you, in correcting your problem.

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?

2) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic)

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Modem you are using?

4) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using?

5) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter currently Installed on your PC?

6) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your
connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero onfiguration
(referred to as WZC)?

7) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1 - 7 AS THOROUGHLY AS POSSIBLE, SO WE MAY
CORRECTLY IDENTIFY YOUR PROBLEM.

slack

slack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Alright trying to answer these the best I can

Please Answer the following questions:

1) What operating System's do you have on the PC in question, Please include any Windows Updates or Patches (Example... XP SP1 or 2)?
Windows Xp home never updated to sp2 cause i Never had the connected to dl it reliably

2) What IP Configuration are you using (Example.. DHCP, PPoE / Static, Automatic) [/color]DHCP

3) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Modem you are using? [/color]Webstar DPX100 series

4) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Router you are using? Belkin F5D7231-4 wireless-g 802.11g 125 High speed mode 2.4ghz

5) What is the Model and Manufacturer of the Wireless Adapter currently Installed on your PC? [/color] None, using ethernet cable

6) Are you using the software that came with your wireless adapter to manage your
connectivity to the router, or if using XP are you using the Wireless Zero onfiguration
(referred to as WZC)?[/color] ^using cable

7) What troubleshooting steps have you taken already?[/color] Used DMZ setting on my IP, worked to some extent but still the line was dropped. e-mailed belkin and got no response.. changed ethernet cables around.. turned router's firewall off... then later back on.. setting up IP on desktop to router manually since sometimes when the line drops the router won't assign an IP to the desktop and I can't access the router.

PLEASE ANSWER QUESTIONS 1 - 7 AS THOROUGHLY AS POSSIBLE, SO WE MAY
CORRECTLY IDENTIFY YOUR PROBLEM.

View Post

[/quote]

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Thanks for answering the questions slack,

Am I understanding your problem, you are connecting 3 PC's to the router (on a WIRED Network) and you are losing connectivity intermittently?

If so try these basic trouble shooting steps first:

Turn off all the computers.

Unplug power from the modem and router. Dont mix up the power cords.

Plug power into the Modem and wiat for it to Boot and Sync fully.

Remove one of the cat5 cords from ports 1-4 on the router and plug it into the cable modem.

Go to the corresponding computer, for that cat5 cord you unplugged from the router, and Boot the computer.

Using just that one computer, connected directly to the modem (with no router), use it to do all the things that you normally do online for at least two hours, to see if the problem repeats itself.

Diagnosis:

If the problem repeats itself then post back and we will trouble shoot your modem conectivity.

If the problem does not repeat itself, then your modem is bad. Possible causes of a bad modem are as follows:
Bad Profile - Restore to factory defaults by holding in the tiny button on the back for 20 seconds.
Bad Router Firmware - Can be upgraded by the manufactures website
Bad Router - Hope it had a warranty and the warranty hasn't expired.

slack

slack

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I solved the problem by buying a linksys router heh, 2 belkins were bad so I got a linksys and no more problems. Thanks for the help.