Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading Currewnt PC Best comonents for budget?

• Please log in to reply

Willbeast

Willbeast

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am planning on updating my current computer. I want to know what the best configuration i can buy for the money. The computer will be designed for gaming playing such games as BF2 and Half-Life2 so it will need to be fast. Here are the restrictions... (if i mention buy below i mean suggest when you post your config)

You can only spend $1500 and go over that only $100 if you have to. (you are encouraged to spend as much as you can up to the budget)

restrictions
1. The cpu must be AMD 939
2. The graphics card must be NVIDIA perferably 7800 GT or GTX
3. I would perfer the system to be SLI capable in the future (only one card now)
4. RAM must be fast and atleast 1gb

You will not need to buy the following things becuase i am recycling them from my current system but you should make sure what you buy is compatable with the stuff i already have i will be using 2 WD 74GB Raptors, a sony dual layer dvdr drive, My own case, my own floppy, a soundblaster audigy 2zs and windows XP i already have.

so you will need to find

a cpu

1 GB of ram

an nvidia SLI capable graphics card

a PSU (does not need to be SLI suported yet atleast single pci-e card supported)however i would perfer it to be sli capable ) MUST BE ATLEAST 480WATTS

and finally a mobo that will support all this crap

if you actually made a configuration for all this please post it below thanks alot for all your help!

Edited by Willbeast, 22 September 2005 - 05:48 PM.

Advertisements

katkat92

katkat92

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
I just purchased the AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego CPU and I got the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe MoBo. I love the board! You might consider it.

I use a GIGABYTE Geforce 6600 video card, seems very good for the money so far.

I also bought PQI turbo DDR SDRAM 1 GB cost about $85 after a mail in rebate. Check this link for the deal I bought this with:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820141154

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,682 posts
ok here is the config I came up with. all prices listed are USDGigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI nForce4-SLI Motherboard $185.00

mushkin SP3200 1GB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory $105.99 x2

AMD Athlon64 4000+ $368.00

7800GTX Graphics card $465.00

ePOWER Tagan TG-480-U22 ATX 480W Power Supply
115/230 V UL, CE, CB, FCC certified $90.99

for a grand total of $1320.97 does not include shipping costs
Note, the ram is for a total of 2 gigs not 1gig.

Edited by Efwis, 23 September 2005 - 10:04 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Does it really have to Nvidia th new R520 based chips are faster,(hopefully out this week or next) or at christmas the R580s are gonna be stompin up and down on the 520s and the 7800s.
Also cross fire boards have a big edge on the sli boards, being newer and more efficeint.

The Colonel

The Colonel

• PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
Gigabyte K8NXP SLI (motherboard) $169.99

BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC $509.99

2 x Ultra XL Dual Channel (2 x 512MB) $359.98

AMD Athlon 64 4000+ Dual Core $399.99

ThermalTake 680W PSU $159.99

Grand Total: $1600 (within limits!) this PC would pwn like no other lol