Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Passwords

• Please log in to reply

bigyin43

bigyin43

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
hi.

attempting to reinstall a windows 98 se op system , i found that i cannot change the boot up sequence, because it is password protected ?????

the system was made up by a shop in 1999 and the shop has since closed. so cannot get help from there.

is there a way to remove the password at this level please ?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://www.password-...-password.shtml

Please remember to unplug your PC and use a grounding strip before reaching into your PC and touching the motherboard.

Removing the CMOS Battery

The CMOS settings on most systems are buffered by a small battery that is attached to the motherboard. (It looks like a small watch battery). If you unplug the PC and remove the battery for 10-15 minutes, the CMOS may reset itself and the password should be blank. (Along with any other machine specific settings, so be sure you are familiar with manually reconfiguring the BIOS settings before you do this.) Some manufacturers backup the power to the CMOS chipset by using a capacitor, so if your first attempt fails, leave the battery out (with the system unplugged) for at least 24 hours. Some batteries are actually soldered onto the motherboard making this task more difficult. Unsoldering the battery incorrectly may damage your motherboard and other components, so please don't attempt this if you are inexperienced. Another option may be to remove the CMOS chip from the motherboard for a period of time.

Note: Removing the battery to reset the CMOS will not work for all PC's, and almost all of the newer laptops store their BIOS passwords in a manner which does not require continuous power, so removing the CMOS battery may not work at all. IBM Thinkpad laptops lock the hard drive as well as the BIOS when the supervisor password is set. If you reset the BIOS password, but cannot reset the hard drive password, you may not be able to access the drive and it will remain locked, even if you place it in a new laptop. IBM Thinkpads have special jumper switches on the motherboard, and these should be used to reset the system.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
do you know the make of the bios It should come up when you boot the computer and it does the POST

bigyin43

bigyin43

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
thanks for replys, i will be getting rto work on it next week , so hope i can find bios name and try the backdoors , if not will try the reset pins ... i'll keep you poste d
:tazz: