Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop: Intel P4 with Hyper-threading or AMD 64?

• Please log in to reply

Dan Kieffer

Dan Kieffer

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello,

Very soon I am going to be purchasing a new laptop. I've been searching around online, and in stores, and I have found a couple that I think I would like. This is meant to be a desktop replacement and will now be my main computer. I will be using this laptop for:Pretty much anything you could think of !! :)

Note that this will be a desktop replacement, so it will be mostly at home. I am guessing the following:

60% Plugged In, at home
35% On battery, but still around my home
And the rest of time relying on the battery

Anyways, I have narrowed my search to 2 laptops as of now. My main concern is that of Intel Pentium 4 with Hyper-threading -vs- AMD Athlon 64. I've heard from a reliable friend that AMD 64-bit hard drive thing is a lot faster, and better, but I have had no experience with it. On the other hand, I've been more exposed to Intel Hyper-threading. I really need to know which of these is recommended for my use!

Please tell me what you think about these. Please do not recommend good deals, other stores, etc. If you really have a good laptop that you are dying to show me, sure why not. But I like these two and they are my top choices.

EDIT: Oh by the way, this will be running off of a wireless home network we already have set up :) These both have wireless built into them.

Laptop #1

http://www.circuitci...roductDetail.do

Posted Image
HP Pavilion Notebook PC with Intel Pentium® 4 processor 520 with Hyper-threading

What I like: Bigger Screen! :)

What I dislike: The mouse pad thing seems to be positioned weirdly

What I'm not sure about: Intel Hyper-threading -vs- AMD Athlon 64

Processor brand Intel®
Processor type Pentium® 4
Processor speed 2.8GHz
Frontside bus speed 800
Level 2 cache 1MB
Screen size 17"
Maximum screen resolution 1440 x 900
4 USB 2.0 Ports
FireWire 1 (4-pin)
Infrared port ? 1
Ethernet Yes

Pointing device Touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical scroll pad

Height 2.0 inches
Width 15.7 inches
Depth 11.4 inches
Weight 9.4 lbs.

The basics: This notebook features the Intel® Pentium® 4 processor 520 with Hyper-Threading Technology, 512MB of DDR2 memory as well as an 80GB hard drive. This capable PC also offers a 1MB L2 cache, 2.8GHz processing speed and an 800MHz front side bus.

Hyper-Threading technology: Run several demanding applications at the same time without slowing performance. You’ll be able to multi-task like never before.

Beautiful display: The 17" WSXGA+ High-Definition BrightView widescreen offers a wide-viewing angle so movies and graphics look beautiful from anywhere in the room.

Ready for multimedia: The powerful ATI® Mobility® Radeon™ X600 video card and 128MB of dedicated video DDR2 RAM can handle intense games and graphics. The 80GB hard drive lets you store big multimedia files.

Combo drive: The double-layer DVD+/-R/RW drive lets you record up to 8.5GB of information on just one double-layer disc. This versatile drive also writes to CD.

6-in-1 media reader: This card reader accepts Smart Media, xD™, MultiMediaCard, SD™ and Memory Stick®/PRO™ cards.

Enhanced wireless: Integrated 54g™ wireless with SpeedBooster and BroadRange support give your 802.11g connection up to 50% more range than competing technologies.

Software bundle:
Microsoft® Works, Money, MSN Encarta® Plus, Office (Student/Teacher Edition) 60-day trial and Windows® Media Player
HP Image Zone Plus
Norton® Internet Security (with 60 days of Live Update)
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader
InterVideo® WinDVD™ Player and Home Theater
Muvee AutoProducer DVD Edition with Burning
Sonic Digital Media Studio
Apple® iTunes® and iTunes Music Store

Laptop #2

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1115365776413

Posted Image
HP Pavilion Notebook PC with AMD Athlon™ 64 Processor 3200+

What I like: I've heard that 64-bit is "the way of the future!"
What I dislike: Smaller Screen :tazz:
What I'm not sure about: Still, Intel hyper-threading -vs- AMD Athlon 64

Product Height  1.9"
Product Width  14.3"
Product Weight  8 lbs.
Product Length  11.2"
Processor Brand  AMD Athlon 64
Processor Speed  2.0GHz
Display Type  WXGA high-definition widescreen with BriteView technology (1280 x 800)
Screen Size  15.4"
System Bus  Up to 2000MHz
Cache Memory  512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM)  512MB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To  2GB
Type of Memory (RAM)  PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive Size  100GB
Optical Drive  Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds  Drive speeds not available
LightScribe Compatibility  No
Digital Media Reader or Slots  Yes, digital media card reader
Diskette Drive  No
Graphics  ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP
Video Memory  128MB DDR (dedicated)
Personal Video Recorder (PVR)  No
TV Tuner  No
MPEG  Yes
Modem  56 Kbps*
Networking  10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking  Built-in 54g high-speed wireless LAN with 125HSM/ SpeedBooster and BroadRange support (802.11b/g)
S-Video Outputs  1
Audio  Altec Lansing
PCMCIA Slots  1 Type I/II, 1 ExpressCard/54
USB 2.0 Ports  4
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports  1
Parallel Ports  None
Serial Ports  None
Game Ports  None
Notebook Weight  Standard (more than 6 lbs.)
Battery Type  Lithium-ion
Pointing Device  Touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical scroll up/down pad
Operating System  Windows XP Professional SP2

Included Software  Microsoft Works, Money, Windows Media Player; Adobe Acrobat Reader; InterVideo WinDVD Player, Home Theater; Sonic Digital Media Studio; muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with burning; HP Image Zone Plus; Apple® iTunes and more

AMD64 technology provides simultaneous support for 32-bit and 64-bit computing, including today's 32-bit applications and tomorrow's 64-bit software 

15.4" WXGA high-definition widescreen display with BriteView technology and 1280 x 800 resolution 

100GB hard drive (4200 rpm) 

ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP graphics with 128MB DDR dedicated video memory; S-video TV-out 

6-in-1 digital media reader supports Secure Digital, MultiMediaCard, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, SmartMedia and xD-Picture Card 

IEEE 1394 (FireWire) interface and 4 high-speed USB 2.0 ports for fast digital video, audio and data transfer 

Built-in 54g high-speed wireless LAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster and BroadRange support (802.11b/g); 10/100Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector); 56 Kbps high-speed modem 

Weighs 8 lbs. and measures 1.9" thin for portable power; lithium-ion battery and AC adapter 

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 2 (SP2) operating system preinstalled; software package included with muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with burning, HP Image Zone Plus, Apple® iTunes and more

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
My humble opinion, get the AMD 64

Computech0115

Computech0115

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
To be entirley honest it depends on what you are needing it for but you would get more out of the one with the Intel with HT. It delievers almost another Ghz of processing power, and comes with a better graphics card. More bang for your buck in this case going with the Intel.

Hope that helps!