Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

crossover cable question

• Please log in to reply

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hi there,
I'm going to be setting up a home network in the near future, and I'll need 3 PCs, one hard wired to the hub, one wireless, and one hooked to the wireless PC to use as a file dump/backup.

I was thinking I could connect the two using a crossover cable, since I didn't want to spend the $ for another wireless card.

Can someone give me a quick primer on how to hook two computers together using a cable?

thanks
mike

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Go to control panel, network connections, and start the "new connection wizard". Next choose "Set up an Advanced Connection". Next select "Connect Directly to Another Computer". Just follow through with the rest of the wizard and everything should be good. Any questions, just ask.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

jimc

jimc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
How do I answer these questions:

Dynamic IP Address (DHCP) or static IP?

Please enter your IP Address

Please enter your netmask

Please enter your gateway

Please enter your DNS 1

Please enter your DNS 2

Please be detailed-thanks in advance

jimc

jimc

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
sorry wrong thread

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Hehe, that's ok. :tazz:

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
can this also be accomplished using Win98? I can't seem to find a connection wizard in the CP.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are you using 2 win 98 pc's? Or 1 xp and 1 98? I'm not sure on how to do this win 98, but will check on it. Please give some more details so we can help more effectively.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

chimpyboy

chimpyboy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I'm looking to try and set up 2 PCs w/ W98....I did get it to work briefly, but now it's not working....must have changed some setting somewhere.

Spank_Me

Spank_Me

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hi Chimpyboy

You are just connecting the two 98 cps together, one has a regular nic and the other one has a wireless card. Your XP is conncected to the hub with a network cable already, this is a hub and not a wireless router right??

Lets say cp1 is Win98 with a network card, cp2 is 98 with the wireless connection, and cp3 is xp with a network card.

cp 1 can connect to cp2 with a crossover cable (has to be a crossover cable and not the regular cables, make them a memeber of the same workgroup, assign cp1 an ip addy of say 192.168.0.4, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, cp2 192.168.0.3, same mask.

Windows 98 uses NetBIOS for name resolution so the two cps should be able to see each other, the only problem with using the crossover cable is that cp1 will only be able to see cp2 and never cp3. (Or at least, I have never been able to make it work :mad: )

If you want to connect all three together, I would just run a regular Cat 5 cable from each cp into the hub, replace the wireless card with a regular nic and run cables. The only thing on XP, in the properties of the connection, TCP/IP settings is to make sure that use NetBIOS over TCP/IP is selected. XP wants to use just DNS to resolve names to addys.

If this is a router, other steps will have to be taken and it might be easier to get another wireless card. :tazz: Hope this helps