Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Missing Wininet.dll

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was told to rename the file wininet.dll-to delete one of the ls because of a virus. They said a new file would appear when i did this. It did not appear and now nothing works because my computer says this file is missing. I can't get to the file to return it to its original name. What should I do? I tried a system restore in the safe mode but that didn't work.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
put in your xp cd and do start > run > sfc /scannow

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Wininet.dll is a finicky critter, system specific. You can't always replace it from the install cd because SPs change it. Dave's malware tool locates a good file on your system (and dumps all your temp files for good measure) and is probably the easiest way to restore the dll.
Read the directions carefully, and print them if it helps.