Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data Execution Prevention [resolved]

• Please log in to reply

mikez

mikez

• Pip
  • 7 posts
:tazz: I have a wireless laptop with a netgear router and an HP2710 wireless printer. After I installed the printer software when I would start up a window would come up saying-Generic Host Process for Win 32 services has been prevented from opening by Data Execution Prevention. Sometimes the window would come up 8 to 10 times before exiting. Can I go into DEP window and allow this program or is that risky? I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,
mikez

Advertisements

bjneedle

bjneedle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I run Win XP Pro SP2, recently installed an hp 2610, connect to a wireless network via Centrino inside a Dell 8600 laptop. I have the same issue. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Barry

mikez

mikez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have done some research on this and apparently this an HP software issue. They are supposed to be coming out with a patch. In the meantime I have just discovered a workaround.Go to control panel/ performance & maintinence/ system/advanced/performance settings/ data execution prevention. When I clicked on (Turn on DEP for all programs except those that I choose) I found the Generic Host Processes for Win 32 line already in the window. I checked the box and applied and then went back to the Default (Turn on DEP for Windows programs and services only) and closed the window. I have not had a problem since. I don't know why this worked after going back to the Default setting but it did.

bjneedle

bjneedle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the research. I tried to go to the Performance & Maintenance control panel, but did not find it. I was really surprised. I run WinXP Pro SP2 with McAfee Security Center. I don't know where the control panel went. More importantly, I don't know how to access the DEP options.

bjneedle

bjneedle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I just found out that the DEP is accessed through the System control panel.

bjneedle

bjneedle

• Pip
  • 4 posts
:tazz: The driver update has been posted on the hp support site!!!!....and it solved the problem.

mikez

mikez

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Just downloaded the update myself and cleared my DEP window and all is well.
FYI- If anyone else has this issue it is under Critical Update on the HP Website.
Thanks,
mikez